More threads by NormH

NormH

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on customers posting a review on, say, Yelp, then copy/pasting the exact same review on Google? My feeling is that it would PROBABLY be better to make them unique, or at least change them up a LITTLE bit, but do we KNOW that it's necessarily bad (in the eyes of Yelp and/or Google) and that there can be consequences?

It's a lot to ask of customers to write unique reviews on more than one site, so I'm trying to figure out if it's better to ask for just one review or if allowing them to post duplicate reviews on multiple sites is okay if they want to do that.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Google is fine with it, Yelp is not. It would cause your review to likely get filtered on Yelp.

Google is fine with it, Yelp is not. It would cause your review to likely get filtered on Yelp.

Are they scraping Google reviews to determine if a Yelp review is unique?

Isn't that the exact thing they got mad at Google for when Google was using their reviews years back?

My "assumption" is that they would use the API to get this info but who knows.

In my experience, if the reviewer is a land-dwelling mammal, the majority of favorable reviews are likely to be filtered on Yelp. <sigh>

In my experience, if the reviewer is a land-dwelling mammal, the majority of favorable reviews are likely to be filtered on Yelp. <sigh>

So you're saying that your best bet is to get as many reviews as you can from reptiles and amphibians? :D

This could mean a whole new career path for mermaids! :eek:

So you're saying that your best bet is to get as many reviews as you can from reptiles and amphibians? :D

This could mean a whole new career path for mermaids! :eek:

Yes. Sadly, it doesn't fit into my plans to have my cats earn $$$ posting fake yelp reviews. Rats! Nope, that won't work either, since rats are also mammals. Darn! :D

My "assumption" is that they would use the API to get this info but who knows.

My understanding is that the API only returns the first 5 Google reviews.

This is a very interesting development.

Would love to know what's really going on here.

What's interesting is that our last 2 reviewers left identical reviews on both Yelp and Google, and Yelp filtered one reviewer but not the other. Also, the reviewer that got filtered had 5 other Yelp reviews and the one they left alone had just one (ours)!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom