More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Mike Blumenthal just did a great 2 part series, including a pretty in-depth consumer survey, to analyze which factors may influence why one business is selected over another in the SERPs just based on elements in the author image.

What Makes for a Good Author Photo in the Local Results? (Part 1)

What makes for a good Author photo in the Local results?

The interesting variety in the array of photos in this particular search result ? some old, some young, no women, bordered, without borders, bright colors, muted colors, looking left, looking right ? immediately elevated for me the idea that click through rates AND conversions would in all likelihood be influenced by differences in these photos.

What Makes for a Good Author Photo in the Local Results? (Part 2)

So which author avatar is the people?s favorite?

Yesterday I promised to share the large scale (1500 responses) survey results as to which author avatar consumers would pick from amongst the local search results when they were asked: If you were selecting a lawyer based on these images, which would you select?

Very interesting survey and interesting results too!

Head over and read both posts if you have not yet.

This was a good 2-parter. People made such interesting comments, as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the author photo thing (though I realize it is probably one of the biggest indicators of Google's present and future mindset about search). Art is so subjective, so when Google starts adding visuals into the mix of business results, bias based on looks could be fostered. Will people start photoshopping themselves for a phony Hollywood look, just to win clicks?

Anyone have thoughts on that?

No photoshopping could help me so I've just been using this as my author photo. What do you think? Maybe a little overkill?:D

kevin-sorbo.jpg

Travis Van Slooten

Will people start photoshopping themselves for a phony Hollywood look, just to win clicks?

kevin-sorbo.jpg

OMG Travis, that one gets MY vote with a bullet!!! :p

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom