More threads by Greg

Greg

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is what I have done in the past to create a Google+Local listing:

Set up the following:
  1. New Gmail for business
  2. Google+ for the owner (personal account)
  3. Google+Business for the business
  4. Finally Google+Local listing

Is this necessary?

Do you follow the same process?

Keen to hear what you do and if there are any guidelines or best practices?

Best regards

Greg

Hi Greg,

Seems fine to me. One we thing we try to do though, if possible, is to create a Google account with the existing business e-mail. So instead of a @gmail.com account it would be @businessname.com.

Google may toss a few more trust points your way if you do.

---------- Post Merged at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Oh, and to answer the question in your post title:

You currently DO NOT have to create a G+ account and a business page in order to create a Google Places(G+ Local) page. All you need is a Google Places/Google account.

Hi Greg,

Seems fine to me. One we thing we try to do though, if possible, is to create a Google account with the existing business e-mail. So instead of a @gmail.com account it would be @businessname.com.

---------- Post Merged at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:10 AM ----------

You currently DO NOT have to create a G+ account and a business page in order to create a Google Places(G+ Local) page. All you need is a Google Places/Google account.

Thanks Colan,

When you say:
"is to create a Google account with the existing business e-mail. So instead of a @gmail.com account it would be @businessname.com."

So are you saying that you would just create a G+L listing directly and use the existing business email for that?

Without creating the G+ and G+Business accounts?

So the question is - does it help at all to create the G+ and G+Business pages?

Thanks

Greg

The benefit of creating the G+ Business page is that you will have access to the social features AKA circles, plus you can add videos, which is currently disabled in Google Places.

You can then take your G+ Business page and verify/merge it with your Google+ Local page. This step however, is still advised against doing it. Reason: Google is still rolling out their new places dashboard and there are still kinks to be worked out.

---------- Post Merged at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Thanks Colan,

When you say:
"is to create a Google account with the existing business e-mail. So instead of a @gmail.com account it would be @businessname.com."

So are you saying that you would just create a G+L listing directly and use the existing business email for that?

Without creating the G+ and G+Business accounts?

Correct.

I have a question regarding accounts that were setup sometime ago.

A business has a Google account with Places setup using a gmail account that has reviews and was setup using the Managers name. G+ is setup with and a few people are in circles.

Manager has a G+ account using a different gmail address with many people in his circles.

The confusion is that both accounts were setup using his name but only his picture in his personal account. So he has been circled in both.

Is there anyway to correct this or to merge them? Thank you

Hi Greg,

Hi Colan,
Trust you are well....

Was thinking about something you said "if possible, is to create a Google account with the existing business e-mail. So instead of a @gmail.com account it would be @businessname.com."

So would you create the Google+Local page first? (in order to use the business email)

And then afterwards create the Google+ Business page?

As I stated this is the process I followed:
Set up the following:

Do you do it differently?

Appreciate your thoughts....
Regards

Greg

So would you create the Google+Local page first? (in order to use the business email)

And then afterwards create the Google+ Business page?

As I stated this is the process I followed:
Set up the following:

Again, Google is still recommending that people wait for the new dashboard to verify/upgrade pages to the Local G+ pages.

To answer your question: I would do it in the sequence you stated if my goal was to have a verified Local G+ page with the social features.

Thanks Colan,

But how would you use the business email address as you suggested?

Regards

Greg

Google strongly prefers the business email over a Gmail. And it helps if there is ever a dispute.

I would:

1) Set up Google account with email@ mysite.com

2) Set up G+ personal profile there

3) Set up G+ Local page in the Places for Business dashboard

4) If option to upgrade to Google+ Business page is there, do it.
If not, wait for it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom