More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Now I know Press Releases have been shot down a little recently in organic circles because often people just did them as a way to get massive backlinks and I can see where Google would de-value or not count lots of those backlinks. I only tried PR for one client a couple years ago and it didn't really move the needle.

HOWEVER - A very nice local Press Release just popped up in my feedreader.
I found it noteworthy on a couple levels.

1st off, sort of a coincidence, since I never see Dental press releases in my Reader. But when I checked this Dentist's G+ L page I thought, "I KNOW this listing" as soon as I saw the images. Turned out I've been trying to help this Dentist with problems in the Google forum.

But also I thought this PR was REALLY nicely done. It does a REALLY great job of explaining the review and social benefits of the G+ page to potential patients. Includes a couple BL to the site and a BL to the G+ L page. And BONUS POINTS for FULL NAP, so all these PRs could also count as citations.

Now my guess is that for local, if 500 PRs filled with dupe content go out to a bunch of other PR sites, the BLs won't count for much, BUT I'm thinking the PRs that get picked up by the local paper or other local sites in that city, the citations could count for something??? Maybe?

Anyway, the wording on this one is so well done, I wanted to share. If you are going to do PR for clients I think think this one is a good model to follow.

DentalPressRelease.jpg

Alcan Dental Group Announces The Launch of its New Google+ Business Page

Dr. Scott Laudon and the Alcan Dental Group has launched a new Google+ page for their practice. The Anchorage, Alaska dental office has provided dental services to its local area since 1992. As a brand-new opportunity to build patient and community connections, they have created a modern social networking page, to allow others to connect with them.

Through this service, existing and new clients have the option to post reviews of services received through the Anchorage dentist, Dr. Laudon and his associates at the Alcan Dental Group. These options allow potential clients to discover the stellar work provided by this exceptional dentist through patient reviews and discussions. By joining the practice's circle of friends, users have access to these reviews and more. "Through social media we hope to connect with our new and old patients on a better level," says Dr. Laudon.

What do you think?
Do you agree this one is well done?
Anyone doing Press Releases for clients?

DentalPressRelease.jpg

Linda,

I do PR for clients if they really have something that is PR worthy- and is time sensitive.

These include new website launches, special events and community involvement.

I need to dig in and see what the effects are for local...

I have a client that releases press releases about really big accomplishments and I noticed it did move the needle when they were picked up by local papers. But this client is developing a new product that can save lives so it is easy for them to get picked up by papers and local news stations.

Thanks for the share Linda.

I have a mixture of feelings about Press Releases. They are "very powerful" if they can be picked up by local newspapers, but sometimes (if its just to get a citation or link), there are simpler ways.

I think Press Releases are fantastic for overall exposure (and as an added benefit), some great links and citations can be won. I think it pays to have a good PR person on your side to make sure it gets picked up!

Off topic: I'm surprised they have been sued by Alcan for trademark infringement...

I never cared too much about PR for backlinks, but have used the free service at PRLog.org for five years. I commonly get 500 - 1000 actual readers of the release, not to mention possible calls from the press, which we have received. Moreover, we know it has driven attendance at events and folks in the door. Finally, I have achieved number 1 location on good keywords with good old PRlog.org

Thanks for sharing this idea. It's brilliant...and like you said, done very well. I'm going to do something similar for my clients. Thanks!

I'm a HUGE fan of press releases. I use them extensively with my clients and they do wonders - both in giving my clients direct exposure but also for backlinks. Backlinks from press releases still work despite what everyone says. Now that could change, but for now they still work.

I have what's called "press releases for backlinks" and "real press releases." I do them both for all of my clients I work with on a regular basis. I'll generally do a couple for backlinks every month and then whenever the client has something "real" to talk about, I'll do "real press releases."

It's important to note that you have to employ this strategy carefully. You don't want to go crazy on anchor text and you need to use powerful distribution services. I use PrWeb and EmailWire. These aren't cheap but they are definitely worth it.

Travis Van Slooten

I would love some advice on submitting press releases. I want to do that for our business that we just redesigned, and I was going to submit it to prlog. I know prweb is quite expensive, and since we're not making money yet, it's kind of hard to do that one.

Do you recommend any others that are free or less expensive? Also - are there any tricks to getting picked up by a local paper?

Thanks so much.

There are lots of free PR sites you can submit to. Just do a Google search for "free press release distribution" and you'll find some. Here is a good list to get you started though:

http://mashable.com/2007/10/19/press-releases/

You can also go to Fiverr. You'll see gigs in there where they'll submit press releases for you for $5 but they usually are just submitting to the free sites for you.

I would also check the Warrior Forum. There are a number of Warriors that provide press release packages. They'll even throw in press release writing for you. You'll spend anywhere from $50 - $200 for these services.

With press releases, the distribution is more effective if you use the paid services so I would start with the Warrior Forum.

As for tips on getting picked up locally...it's all about reaching out to the local media outlets and asking them if they accept press releases.

Travis Van Slooten
I would love some advice on submitting press releases. I want to do that for our business that we just redesigned, and I was going to submit it to prlog. I know prweb is quite expensive, and since we're not making money yet, it's kind of hard to do that one.

Do you recommend any others that are free or less expensive? Also - are there any tricks to getting picked up by a local paper?

Thanks so much.

I had to update this thread with a hilarious press release a local seo guy just had written and submitted:

David Moceri Is The Best Internet Marketing Expert In Las Vegas - NewsWire

I actually know this guy through another guy. What I don't know is if this press release was meant to be serious or if he was just doing it as a joke to get something viral going. If it's the latter, it's definitely working because here I am sharing it with you guys and someone shared it with me. I just hope he was trying to be funny and that this press release was intended to be serious in an attempt to convince small business owners that he was declared to be the best.:D Regardless, I find the press release extremely creative and hilarious.

As a side note, I NEVER do these types of press releases for my business or my clients - nor would I recommend anyone doing so - unless of course you're trying to be funny and have something go viral. However, it goes to show that you can do a press release just about anything you can dream up and it will get approved and distributed (and passed off as "real" news).

Travis Van Slooten
"Best Internet Marketing Expert" in Minneapolis:p

Ha - thanks for sharing Travis!

Hey, I have a question for you about your Press Release distribution.

You say that you distribute to the multiple sources (like from the Mashable guide), but I'm assuming you don't submit the "same article"? Otherwise, wouldn't you get hit for duplicate content/article spinning?

What is your strategy on this? How many "unique" articles do you need for that list?

Thanks in advance.

Nick:

I actually only submit to two sources - who then submit the press release to literally thousands of sources. I use PrWeb and EmailWire. These are the two bigger press distribution services.

I submit the same press release to both sources and yes, the same press release then gets submitted to thousands of sources.

The "duplicate content penalty" is a myth. It doesn't exist - especially with press releases. If there was a duplicate content penalty, then just about every website would be penalized. Submitting the same piece of content is essentially syndication, which is totally o.k. in Google's eyes. The "penalty," if you want to call it that, is that Google will only rank one of the articles but even that's not true when it comes to press releases as you'll often times see the same press release on different websites ranking on the first page.

Especially when it comes to press releases, you absolutely do not need to spin them or reword them or anything crazy like that. In fact if you did that most of these big PR distribution services would likely reject them because you're just submitting the same press release over and over (spam).

Press releases and articles are two totally different animals. It *might* make sense to spin articles but I'm generally not a fan of any kind of article marketing these days so I just don't do it.

Travis Van Slooten

Ha - thanks for sharing Travis!

Hey, I have a question for you about your Press Release distribution.

You say that you distribute to the multiple sources (like from the Mashable guide), but I'm assuming you don't submit the "same article"? Otherwise, wouldn't you get hit for duplicate content/article spinning?

What is your strategy on this? How many "unique" articles do you need for that list?

Thanks in advance.

Nick:

I actually only submit to two sources - who then submit the press release to literally thousands of sources. I use PrWeb and EmailWire. These are the two bigger press distribution services.

I submit the same press release to both sources and yes, the same press release then gets submitted to thousands of sources.

The "duplicate content penalty" is a myth. It doesn't exist - especially with press releases. If there was a duplicate content penalty, then just about every website would be penalized. Submitting the same piece of content is essentially syndication, which is totally o.k. in Google's eyes. The "penalty," if you want to call it that, is that Google will only rank one of the articles but even that's not true when it comes to press releases as you'll often times see the same press release on different websites ranking on the first page.

Especially when it comes to press releases, you absolutely do not need to spin them or reword them or anything crazy like that. In fact if you did that most of these big PR distribution services would likely reject them because you're just submitting the same press release over and over (spam).

Press releases and articles are two totally different animals. It *might* make sense to spin articles but I'm generally not a fan of any kind of article marketing these days so I just don't do it.

Travis Van Slooten

Thanks for the clarification Travis.

What I really like about you is that you share "what works" as opposed to reciting the "myths" that a lot of SEOs do.

Many thanks for that!

The "duplicate content penalty" is a myth. It doesn't exist - especially with press releases. If there was a duplicate content penalty, then just about every website would be penalized. Submitting the same piece of content is essentially syndication, which is totally o.k. in Google's eyes. The "penalty," if you want to call it that, is that Google will only rank one of the articles

Absolutely true and always has been. Remember that duplicate content is very different from plagiarism or scraping - THAT is what gets penalized.

And algorithms are getting better and better at identifying spun articles. And since authority and credibility factors are also becoming increasingly important, those are two additional reasons NOT to spin.

Just say No! :)

Travis: One more question about this - If you are submitting a press release that covers an "event" that is taking place, would you include the NAP as well, so you are effectively getting LOTS of citations??

It seems obvious but I'm just checking that this is legit and that it works?!

Nick:

I only include the NAP in that the press release must be accompanied with the contact information for the person submitting the press release. That contact information will contain the NAP because I'll always use the business owner's name, his business name, address, and phone number...and website.

However, this information rarely shows up on the press release itself. With PRWeb, for example, they only display the contact person, the business name, and telephone number. See this screenshot:

04.14.2013-21.40 - tvanslooten's library

You *might* be able to include the NAP in the press release itself. I guess I have never tried it. I don't know if the distribution companies would allow that or not. I might try it on my next press release and see what happens. I have a feeling the press release would get rejected (at least with PRWeb) because they would say the info is redundant since they have a dedicated "Contact" box with each press release.

Travis Van Slooten

Travis: One more question about this - If you are submitting a press release that covers an "event" that is taking place, would you include the NAP as well, so you are effectively getting LOTS of citations??

It seems obvious but I'm just checking that this is legit and that it works?!

Thanks Travis.

The thing is.......We have a press release written based around a local event that is held. One of the most important pieces of information in such a press release, is of course the NAP. It's vital that people know where the event is. So, not only is it legit, but it would be difficult to leave that information out.

Di you think this situation lends itself well to PR Web? - - Are there any Press Releases that don't work for PR Web??

The reason I ask is that (I heard) from others that it's only worth submitting Press Releases when it is "very notable"....Now, to me that sounds kind of vague!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom