More threads by warrenpd

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an interesting issue I could use some advice on. I have a client with 17 locations. On all of their GMB pages the subdomain is listed as the landing page. They are structured like this. memphis.sitename.com.

The also have location based subdirectory pages on their main site. For example sitename.com/memphis-location

The subdomain pages consist of one page and pretty much the same content content so you could definitely call them doorway pages.

My question is should I change the landing page on the GMB profiles to the subdirectory or keep the subdomains?

Subdirectories are fine, the only advantage of subdomains is if you intend to submit in directories, because some of them don't accept deep pages, so that would be a big to have subdomains in that case.

Hi all,

I have an interesting issue I could use some advice on. I have a client with 17 locations. On all of their GMB pages the subdomain is listed as the landing page. They are structured like this. memphis.sitename.com.

The also have location based subdirectory pages on their main site. For example sitename.com/memphis-location

The subdomain pages consist of one page and pretty much the same content content so you could definitely call them doorway pages.

My question is should I change the landing page on the GMB profiles to the subdirectory or keep the subdomains?

It sounds like there is a potential duplicate content issue here that could be hurting your local organic traffic as well. Are the sub-domain pages ranking/driving traffic? Is it comparable to the sub directories? Which are driving conversions?

I would resolve this issue and then point the GMB pages to whatever is left and more authoritative/relevant.

Use canonical urls, no duplicate content, and both parties are happy since they both exist ;)

I have found that subdomains rarely work well in Local SEO. If you want to provide the specifics (the website and what keyword they're trying to rank for), I could provide better advice since what you should do depends on a combination of different factors.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom