More threads by JordanJCaron

Reaction score
A few days ago I showed my website to a friend who works as a sales director for a local hotel. I wanted his input on my pricing packages.

He came back with some great ideas. But what got me thinking was the fact that he didn't know what "SEO" or "Search Engine Optimization" meant.

Having been a golf instructor for years I would try to make things simple for my clients. So that meant cutting out industry jargon and using more common and simple terms.

In the case of SEO, what about those out there searching for our service but they don't call it SEO when they search. What terms are they using instead?

I've tried to ask a few people lately and have gotten some interesting answers. I was wondering if you have as well.

I've created pages with titles like "Improve Google Ranking/Position" but haven't had any hits.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has some feedback or if this interests them at all. I'm going to start asking anyone in business what terms they would search and see what I come up with.

Hmmm maybe if dont know SEO I will probably searching for the following phrases:

- increase traffic to my site
- rank my site on google
- get my website on top of google results

I would use the AdWords Keyword Planner to research search terms. I attached a screenshot of some of the results. The planner is pretty good at giving you information on what people are searching for: https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner/

Another great resource to use is Google Trends. If you're trying to create evergreen content, it's very useful.
Google Trends

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 9.19.18 AM.jpg

Thanks jvaquino and Blake. Never thought about Keyword planner. Will look at that for my location and see what comes up.

Cheers!

A few days ago I showed my website to a friend who works as a sales director for a local hotel. I wanted his input on my pricing packages.

He came back with some great ideas. But what got me thinking was the fact that he didn't know what "SEO" or "Search Engine Optimization" meant.

I've tried to ask a few people lately and have gotten some interesting answers. I was wondering if you have as well.

You guys HAVE to watch this video. Meant to share when I found it but didn't have time.

What is SEO? Chicago responds

Not sure it will help you, but helps you understand how misunderstood our industry is.

Now granted they were interviewing consumers off the street. Hopefully more business owners know what SEO is. :rolleyes:

Speaking of consumers not knowing what SEO is. I shared this gem a few weeks ago.

1 - 10 Americans think HTML is an STD: LA Times

Oh too funny Blake. I missed it when you shared before. That's a good one.

I didn't watch the whole SEO video, I wonder if any consumers thought SEO was an STD?

Wonder what they would guess PPC and ROI stand for? :p

You guys HAVE to watch this video. Meant to share when I found it but didn't have time.

What is SEO? Chicago responds

Not sure it will help you, but helps you understand how misunderstood our industry is.

Now granted they were interviewing consumers off the street. Hopefully more business owners know what SEO is. :rolleyes:

Got to love the girl who's last name is Seo :cool:

I cringe when I see family and friends on Facebook try to explain what hash-tags are for.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom