More threads by ToddB

ToddB

Reaction score
Was just doing some searching and came across this. Check out the number 2 listing. I would think this is fairly competitive, wonder how they are able to slip through and get away with it.

I did a search for roofing contractors rochester ny.

Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 4.02.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 4.02.23 PM.png

Hi Todd,

Which element do you think they have slipped through on?

In reference to their "Title", Google can choose to display their home page title rather than the places page Title...

--------So, whilst their title looks "spammy", it's actually just Google displaying the home page title (possibly)

Last edited:
That was my first thought as well. However, it looks like that is indeed the title of the G+ Local page itself - Highland Contractors Rochester NYRoofing Contractor

Todd, it's just a matter of time before listings with spammy titles get nuked. Either by a Google employee or a Map Maker RER.

Hi Todd,

Which element do you think they have slipped through on?

In reference to their "Title", Google can choose to display their home page title rather than the places page Title...

--------So, whilst their title looks "spammy", it's actually just Google displaying the home page title (possibly)

That was my first thought as well. However, it looks like that is indeed the title of the G+ Local page itself - Highland Contractors Rochester NYRoofing Contractor

Todd, it's just a matter of time before listings with spammy titles get nuked. Either by a Google employee or a Map Maker RER.

Ah year, i certainly didn't do the search and check on their listing.

If their title really is like that, I normally go through and report it to Google. And yeah, it's only a matter of time till they get onto it!

I have a question. When you go to their Google+ page and click on edit details(sends you to map maker) to Edit the name of the business it only lists the actual name of the business: Highland Contractors with out the city.

How would you flag the name as inappropriate? Just curious!

I have a question. When you go to their Google+ page and click on edit details(sends you to map maker) to Edit the name of the business it only lists the actual name of the business: Highland Contractors with out the city.

How would you flag the name as inappropriate? Just curious!

Nice Catch, Marie. I would explain in the details of the report that the title is indeed spammed on the actual page. That would probably do the trick.

Nice Catch, Marie. I would explain in the details of the report that the title is indeed spammed on the actual page. That would probably do the trick.

Yes, when you report a spam title, there is the option to "enter the correct name if you know it". I don't tend to do this now, and instead, simply report it as being manipulative. I used to give the correct name but it requires extra work on my part to find the official DBA name - - So now, I report as being manipulative.

Thanks guys. Ya i was wondering how they got it like that. But like you said probably only a matter of time...

Oh, and to add insult to injury, none of these guys has their address hidden. Sometimes Google just isn't watching...

I should probably call all these guys and explain that I can fix their listings before they get nuked... or maybe I'll drive to their office and talk to them in person lol.

They also have 2 CLAIMED listings. So should be nuked for several violations!

The G+ showing in blended: https://plus.google.com/116903883681657567530/about?hl=en

PLUS a verified G+ with spammy problem-filled description.
https://plus.google.com/104176832911367544624/about?gl=us&hl=en

So should not have 2 claimed listings.
Plus should maybe hide address. (Looks commercial but depends if staffed and open for walk-ins.)
Plus if hidden should not have verified in +.

So these guys need all kinds of help. Sic 'em Eric!

I already spoke with them. They just signed up with the local yellow page company that outsources it all to yodel, so can't imagine much is going to get fixed when it comes to the local.

I can literally walk to this office from my house... funny... lol

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom