More threads by mqs1000

Reaction score
A friend of mine has two dental offices which are located in two separate cities in the same state in the United States only about 10 minutes apart from each other. For each office, he has two separate Google+ pages but uses one website for both of them. The name of both offices/businesses are the same. The 2nd office was opened within the last year, and the other one is about 5 years old. He is ranking well for the original office - in the top 3 of the local results for "dentist + city name" and all related keywords. The 2nd new office he is having massive trouble ranking.

Should he start a 2nd website for the 2nd office? Do you think it is the fact that there is one website for both offices messes things up? It should technically mess up the original office as well but that office is ranking fine. He's created a ton of citations/local directories, optimized the website for both offices, optimized the Google+ page, added reviews on the Google+ page along with other websites, built some solid back links, but he is still not even in the top 20 of the local results for the office and it's been close to a year. Do you have any recommendations of what he can do?

One website is totally fine. And it's a better strategy because it concentrates your efforts (link building, content, technical SEO) into one site. As Linda say's, "one website to rule them all".

I am currently working with a Phone repair company and they are almost same situation except the 2 office were opened 6 months apart.

We are ranking great for both locations and the reason I feel that is happening is like you were saying we built the site and each office as a separate site on the 1 website we also did separate social profiles for each office.

Your issue:
but he is still not even in the top 20 of the local results for the office and it's been close to a year. Do you have any recommendations of what he can do?

trying to give an answer to this issue without more info Without seeing the details of the site probably just winging it will not be much value. if your using schema in the footer or any site wide areas this could be an issue are your catergory pages linking to city specific sub catergory pages?

see this is a lot of guessing

But my guess is once you find the reason everything else will rank better including the orginal ofice pages

Not much help but I bet this is a simple fix "once you find the nail in the tire"

Do you have different landing pages/subfolders for each business location? You don't need to create a new website under a different domain, but you should give them unique sections within the existing website. Hard to give specific recommendations without seeing the site, but I would go 1 website + unique subfolders.

We have one website for our business with multiple locations but we do have separate Google+ listings and local landing pages for each location. To me the trick is to make sure each office has it's own landing page, with robust content, schema markup and tags that indicate where it is.

There is a great guide from Nifty Marketing that we used as the basis for our pages: https://niftymarketing.com/optimal-local-landing-page-infographic/

check it out and if you follow their suggestions, I think you'll build a great page.

Then you need to get reviews, links, etc. to it, but that's another story for another day!

:confused: Would your recommendation for maintaining 1 website change if the business wants to use a different name for the 2nd Office location?
URL: RiverRoadSelfStorage.com
Location 1: "River Road Self Storage"
Location 2: "11th Avenue Self Storage"​

The physical location is important to this type of business and the 2nd location is 70 miles away from the 1st location so there is no real brand recognition. Maintaining 1 website is ideal and we'd just build out the location page and location-specific services content. Will the name difference create a problem for visibility in search?

ALSO, do you recommend using a unique URL (e.g., "11thAveSelfStorage.com") with a 301 redirecting to the 2nd Location page at the RiverRoadComputerRepair.com website?

Really appreciate any input or advice!

NOTE: Correction in my last question. It should have read "RiverRoadSelfStorage"...not "ComputerRepair"

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom