More threads by LocalSEOLondon

Reaction score
I am expressing this in the simplest terms even though I know that makes it kind of simplistic but there we are

1. Dealing just with the GMB profile.

2. If a really great description SCORES YOU 10 POINTS re getting you in the 3 pack for your target keywords what does a really great services section , photos, regular posts (say 1 a day ) SCORE YOU.

3. Answer might be

Description 10 (but first 250 characters is 8 of that 10)
Secondary categories 3
Services 3
Photos 3
Products 1
Posts 1 (but only because any photos added to photos)

Please feel free to add other attributes and also add qualifiers / conditional type statements in brackets eg

Appointments link (1 because gets you more clicks /activity /use of from GMB)
Google Messaging (1 because increases trust)
Owner Reply to reviews (2 but only if owner uses to add in keywords geo type text otherwise 1)

PS I have left out primary category because its so important and effects everything else. And I am fine if you want to say its a stupid question but if you can answer it with that qualifier that would really help! Finally yes I get it making a GMB look loved and all filled out is great independently of ranking for click through, conversions presence organic SEO generally but if you could please answer anyway

Thanks

The only things I have found in GMB that have direct impact on ranking are:

1. The business name
2. The categories used (primary holds more weight)
3. The URL you link the website field to
4. Reviews (content & quantity)

Based on lots of testing, I've found everything else has little-to-no direct impact on ranking.

If a really great description SCORES YOU 10 POINTS re getting you in the 3 pack for your target keywords what does a really great services section , photos, regular posts (say 1 a day ) SCORE YOU.
What does "SCORES YOU 10 POINTS" actually mean? Scores points with whom or for what? :confused:

In any "If... Then..." statement, where the If part is false the Then part is irrelevant, n'est-ce pas?

You present an interesting question, but possibly not in terms of only ranking. Assuming that Joy is correct (probably wise) the question becomes what is the impact on searcher engagement/website clicks/calls/driving directions/walk-ins based on the GMB profile elements you identify.

It's not only a matter of being found it search/maps, but of being selected compared to other options.

The only things I have found in GMB that have direct impact on ranking are:

1. The business name
2. The categories used (primary holds more weight)
3. The URL you link the website field to
4. Reviews (content & quantity)

Based on lots of testing, I've found everything else has little-to-no direct impact on ranking.

Hi Joy, are you factoring in GMB posts as not a ranking factor? Or do you just mean out of the actual information you can add to the listing, this list is the only important ranking elements?

Thanks for the replies .....its a very minimalist set of signals Google takes from the GMB ....My problem is the same as we all have how to rank across multiple related business areas when the 3 Pack is dominated by those with the "right" primary category for that search....its each for your primary category harder after that

AND YES I agree conversions zoom up if your information panel is beautifully presented and current.

ps djbaxter very eloqaquent of you but you know what I mean ...everyone else worked it out

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom