More threads by hajnasiewicz

hajnasiewicz

GMB Product Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
What is considered a "1st Generation SEO" ? Does this describe someone who has been in the business for a lengthy period of time?

As a generation is around 10 years I'd say at least mid to late 90s through late 2002 before the first major update, or in my opinion up till 2003-06 when SEO took a stronghold on Digital Marketing.

It's hard to consider people who just shoved words all over the page/title/description/meta keywords the first-generation SEO. It was more like a get rich quick scheme, akin to the first adopters of Bitcoin circa 2010-2014. Also one must think, there weren't very many sites then of much value to be worth users searching for. Remember, Yahoo started out as a directory, not a search engine, there were a couple before them that did a search engine. It wasn't commercially viable from an SEO standpoint to use a search engine till about 95-96, thus that's when it started.

Last edited:
2002 to for me so I prob don't "qualify" but was interested to understand what 1st gen description is. "Keith Richards" ... hilllarious!!!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom