More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Apart from being the Editor-in-chief of Google Plus Daily,
Lee Jarratt prides himself in spotting the tiniest of Google+ updates.

I stole that right off the byline at the bottom of his blog. :p But it's true and I'm starting to like Lee's tiny updates because even if small, they ARE incremental changes and he often spots things no one else in local has noticed or reported on.

Below are 2 recent Google+ Local minor updates Lee has noticed.

Google+ Local Now Suggests Places to Review

Now this is interesting to me on a couple levels. Once again shows how much Google is pushing reviews. NOTE: Go to Google+ and click the Local button on left menu and see if this feature shows up for you yet.

BUT what I find odd is they are asking for reviews based on your "search history". So basically they are asking you to review businesses you've visited "virtually" online. Does not mean you've been there. Check out what I see at top of MY Google+ Local page.

Google Local "Please Review Recent Places you've Visited ONLINE"

GoogleReviews.jpg

None of the places Google is asking me to review are in my local area and I've never been to any of them. Those are just places I've surfed to helping folks in the G forum or doing various research. So kind of odd they are just pulling whatever is in your history and asking you to review it. But I guess with a local consumer, it would be more likely that the places they have surfed to are local businesses. Still just because they've surfed there, does not mean they've been there. So just interesting, not earth shattering or anything.

The next update is fairly minor but still pretty interesting, for businesses who have highly visual products like a florist or restaurant. You can now share photos that you have uploaded to Google+ Local.

Share Photos Uploaded to Google+ Local

Thanks for the updates Lee! Keep 'em coming! :)

Anyone have thoughts or comments on either of these updates?

GoogleReviews.jpg

Hasnt the sharing of Google+ Local photos been available for awhile now? I thought it was...

Apart from being the Editor-in-chief of Google Plus Daily,
Lee Jarratt prides himself in spotting the tiniest of Google+ updates.

I stole that right off the byline at the bottom of his blog. :p But it's true and I'm starting to like Lee's tiny updates because even if small, they ARE incremental changes and he often spots things no one else in local has noticed or reported on.

Below are 2 recent Google+ Local minor updates Lee has noticed.

Google+ Local Now Suggests Places to Review

Now this is interesting to me on a couple levels. Once again shows how much Google is pushing reviews. NOTE: Go to Google+ and click the Local button on left menu and see if this feature shows up for you yet.

BUT what I find odd is they are asking for reviews based on your "search history". So basically they are asking you to review businesses you've visited "virtually" online. Does not mean you've been there. Check out what I see at top of MY Google+ Local page.

Google Local "Please Review Recent Places you've Visited ONLINE"

Places-Analytics-Disclaimer.jpg

None of the places Google is asking me to review are in my local area and I've never been to any of them. Those are just places I've surfed to helping folks in the G forum or doing various research. So kind of odd they are just pulling whatever is in your history and asking you to review it. But I guess with a local consumer, it would be more likely that the places they have surfed to are local businesses. Still just because they've surfed there, does not mean they've been there. So just interesting, not earth shattering or anything.

The next update is fairly minor but still pretty interesting, for businesses who have highly visual products like a florist or restaurant. You can now share photos that you have uploaded to Google+ Local.

Share Photos Uploaded to Google+ Local

Thanks for the updates Lee! Keep 'em coming! :)

Anyone have thoughts or comments on either of these updates?

Nice, last night I saw a post from Jade on G+ announcing the upload your photos and share them.

Hasnt the sharing of Google+ Local photos been available for awhile now? I thought it was...

I wasn't really sure if I'd seen it before or not. But due to info below, seems it must be new.

Nice, last night I saw a post from Jade on G+ announcing the upload your photos and share them.

Good spot Andrew, I missed Jade's post. Here it is. So does indeed seem like this is a new feature.

Jade's post:https://plus.google.com/115584845914183643191/posts/BrEjHw42YXo
Official G+ post: https://plus.google.com/+googleplus/posts/dhkaeRAzq4w

Hopefully I'm tagging the correct thread... I was reviewing a client Places listing and after nearly 3 weeks they're still not showing any of the info from Places admin on the actual G+ listing.

So I posted a question to Places help and here's what they sent back "Please note that photos uploaded from your Google Places dashboard may take some time to appear on your business's corresponding local Google+ page.

If you want your photos to appear sooner, your best bet is to upload them on the local Google+ page from the "Photos" tab."

Seems like an odd response - does this sound right to everyone?

Hi sdennison and welcome.

That's a totally different topic, but the advice you got is correct, but I agree ODD.

Currently when you upload images in your dashboard there is a 4 - 5 week delay before they go live. I would not normally recommend uploading images as a user. That advice is if you just really can't wait and hate having an empty page - that's sort of a band-aid way to get around the problem.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom