A few basic questions

barry

Forum Member
Hi All,

I have a few basic, getting started questions about local SEO.

1) In Google Analytics, is there any way to differentiate between traffic from regular organic search results, and local pack results?

2) How do you track your rankings in the local pack? I found an option for this on Whitespark - but are there any other options?

3) I'm reading a lot about the importance of local content. I'm not really sure how this would apply to my local clients. For example how would a dentist have local content? How about a back pain clinic? Or a classroom supply store?

One client that I think I got this right with is with this 7 Ways New Yorkers Can Save on Air Conditioning Costs - Smart Seal - is this a good example of strong local content?

Thanks!

mborgelt

Local Search Expert
Hey Barry,

I'll hit these lightly as I am sure others will chime in.

In GA there is not a way to tell the difference from traffic but your GMB Dashboard does provide this info and more.

We use a tool called Rankinity. It gives you historic data, tracks local and organic accurately and you can give clients access to their ranking tool.

A few ideas of local content: blogs about community events, driving directions are great (and necessary in my book).

Just some things to help you get started, hope it helps!

Linda Buquet

Thanks Michael and Justin.

I'm late plus can't be on PC any more today, but if someone has time to find it, Phil has one for sure and I think maybe more really good posts on local content. They are reposted here too, just don't have time to find them.

PLUS we have a local content section here at the forum PLUS the multi-location forum has lots of posts about local landing pages which also apply to just regular local sites as well

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks Michael and Justin.

I'm late plus can't be on PC any more today, but if someone has time to find it, Phil has one for sure and I think maybe more really good posts on local content. They are reposted here too, just don't have time to find them.
A few great posts on local content:

https://moz.com/blog/local-landing-pages-guide

16 Ways to Create Unique ?Local? Content for Cities Where You Want to Rank | LocalVisibilitySystem.com

Ideas for Local Website Content | Local SEO Tips for 2015