More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Last week, I noticed a new feature on the Contributions tab inside the Google Maps app. It's called "Events" and when you click it, it prompts you to add an event to Google Maps.
1552393631605.png

When you click it, it allows you to fill in the details of the event and publish it.

1552393686962.png

I tried adding one to a library and within minutes of me posting it, it was showing in the Knowledge Panel for the library.
1552393827473.png

I asked tons of people and was only able to find one other person that had access to this new feature. According to this thread, Google says it's available now for a small amount of users. It's important to note that my event likely published immediately because I linked it to a page on the library's website that showed the event. Another user in this thread had their event automatically get denied which was likely because they were linking it to a 3rd party site. Prior to this, there was not a direct way to add events to the Knowledge Panel apart from marking your events up with Schema on your website and hoping Google would pick it up.

I wonder if the owner then has control over that event via the dashboard so they can edit / update accordingly?

Google launches tons of features on Maps before it hits GMB. I assume a business could contact GMB support to get the event removed if it was not accurate.

Google launches tons of features on Maps before it hits GMB. I assume a business could contact GMB support to get the event removed if it was not accurate.

Yeah, I thought as much, so you mean this could possibly lead to even more #craponthemap!

Last edited:
I also don't yet have access to it. I'm publishing client events as posts on GMB now -wondering how (or if) these interact with each other?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom