More threads by Jason Kamara

Reaction score
Google really seems to tread a thin line when it comes to anti-trust compliance issues in different countries. Working in Canada, I spend most of my time on Google.ca. There is a marked difference between Adwords styling on Google.com and Google.ca

google-com-adwords.jpg

and

google-ca-adwords.jpg

I suspect that organic CTR rates would be higher if there were a clearer distinction between paid and unpaid listings on Google.ca. Has anyone else noticed fluctuating SERP CTRs for their clients as Google plays with new layouts?

google-com-adwords.jpg

google-ca-adwords.jpg

The Google.ca-style layout is the same one I always see here in the states: the PPC results have a slightly shaded background. Wondering if there's a browser setting at play here.

As far as I know, there's no way to tell what your CTR is for any organic rankings you have. But I do imagine that the ads get more clicks the more they look like and blend into the organic results. Only Google knows...

Remember when Google first came out with AdWords text ads the ads had a very discernible blue bordered box around them. As time went on the border turned into a light colored background box. Now, the ads on the right side have no such property and the top ads have a very faint background color.

I remember Google highlighting the fact that they were not like other advertising venues in that they were strict to separate adverts from organic. This was an actual pledge from Google!

Money does indeed have a way to evolve such sentiments.

Google's testing new ad highlighting formats. In many types of searches they're doing what they've done with mobile devices and have that little "ad" sticker next to it instead of shading. I think they're testing it in certain locations/search types for now, but if it drives more revenue for them (they look a little more similar to organic results), then they'll probably roll it out across the board.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom