Animated Google+ Image Spotted in Google Map SERPs - Thumbs Up or Down?

Linda Buquet

Have you even seen an animated image in the map search results???
Neither have I until last night. But it sure made this listing literally jump out at me!

I was searching for cell repair since I dropped and broke my brand new, never used, Galaxy S4.
So I'm a consumer, searching for a solution right?

YA think # C (iCracked) jumped out at me just a little???

Click this Google Map search: San Marcos cell phone repair

animatedlogo.gif

Here is the iCracked G+ Business Page with the animated profile pic.

It shows in the knowledge graph if you hover by their name on regular Google search as well. Pretty cool!

Even a little more dynamic than map search, here it is in Google+ Local Search.

And this is not just an isolated listing. Many of their locations are using this animation trick to stand out in a competitive space.

(FYI, the animated gif I think can only be done with a merged G+ page. And since this is a SAB with hidden address, technically they should not have merged.)

I did know you could put an animated gif on your G+ page and 1st saw it in action on Ryan AKA Optimized Prime's G+ page. Scroll up on his G+ page to see his big animated Super Man header. Very cool!

But that's the background image not profile image AND it's personal profile, not a business page. So again this is 1st time I've seen one show up in Map Search.

I almost hate to bring this up because if every Tom, Dick and Spammer starts doing animated gifs it's going to start looking like 1999 in the SERPS. (And Google will likely plug this little loophole.)

However if done tastefully and your client has the only animated image - just enough to give it some zing - could really make it stand out???

I'm picturing like a Dentist logo flashing to a smile and back.

HOWEVER likely spammy types will catch onto this and we'll have neon "Buy Now" or "Super Discount Today" gifs and then Google will shut it down and no more gifs.

So anyway - what's your feeling about using an animated image - IF DONE RIGHT?

Super cool. Great attention grabber.

Yeah, it will eventually get spammed like crazy and shut down though.

So, do it tastefully now while you can! :)

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Oh boy. This is going to get old fast. Linda, I hope you're right that animated GIFs can be added "tastefully"...

garethbrown

We were experimenting with this back in March and I was going to publish a post about it, but our experiment wasn't conclusive.

We found it was hit or miss whether the logo actually stuck, as it looks like there could be some kind of review process. We found once an account had an animated logo removed, it was then impossible to upload animated gifs again. Although I do think abused it a bit whilst testing!

Here's an example that did stick: https://plus.google.com/101520261254091931422/about?gl=uk&hl=en&review=1

Works: Animated gifs with big pixel changes - photos and logo
Doesn't work: Animated gifs with small changes between frames that look like you're trying to grab attention (triggers review).

We also noted that animated gifs with small pixel differences between the frames eg flashing arrow or circle, get rendered as static gif. The end result could be any frame in the animation!

It's worth playing around with, but it won't last long.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
@garethbrown

Distressing to hear that any animated GIFs pass through a review process, but thanks for the detail.

The IM Factory

Inactive
Hopefully like you said Linda about spammers getting a hold of this. I know you were able to do the cover photos as gif images, I am surprise I didn't see that get spammed fast

Linda Buquet

We were experimenting with this back in March and I was going to publish a post about it, but our experiment wasn't conclusive.

We found it was hit or miss whether the logo actually stuck, as it looks like there could be some kind of review process. We found once an account had an animated logo removed, it was then impossible to upload animated gifs again. Although I do think abused it a bit whilst testing!

Here's an example that did stick: https://plus.google.com/101520261254091931422/about?gl=uk&hl=en&review=1

Works: Animated gifs with big pixel changes - photos and logo
Doesn't work: Animated gifs with small changes between frames that look like you're trying to grab attention (triggers review).

We also noted that animated gifs with small pixel differences between the frames eg flashing arrow or circle, get rendered as static gif. The end result could be any frame in the animation!

It's worth playing around with, but it won't last long.
Thanks Gareth for the added detail and good to see another example.
Thanks for sharing!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
So interesting. Wonder if it's even worth trying considering the things Google penalizes people for. It's almost one of those things that I wouldn't do so Google wouldn't pop my listing for abuse.

Thoughts?

Linda Buquet

LOL that would be a good one for a demolition company Russ!

And would not even trip the nannybot filter with the F word in a gif! :p

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: a promoted post by a Sterling Sky employee reviewing your product or service; this will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More information...

Local Search Forum

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group