Any downsides to registering your business on Google+ Local?

apolodor

Inactive
Presuming the following scenario:

1. We have an online store that sells wine and delivers it all across the US.
2. The online store also features a local store with a showroom in NYC.

Is it better to register a store, as the one described above, on Google+ Local or should I just create a standard Google+ Page for it (without adding the store's location on Google Maps)?

Registering the store on Google+ Local will certainly improve the store's SERP for people performing searches from within NYC. But what will happen to the SERP results performed outside of that area? Does Google+ Local impact in any way global search results?

Thanks,
Apolodor

Simon James

I think it's safe to create a Local G+ Business page to attract the offline foot traffic.
And using the Posts page to subtly promote your national distribution service shouldn't do any harm and could in fact give you a boost in rankings.

Linda Buquet

I've never personally dealt with that situation but it should not hurt.

The way it SHOULD work is if someone searches for New York Wine Store or whatever, the site and G+ Local listing should merge together to create a local result. But if someone in Chicago or LA searches for wine keywords, then since you aren't local to that area, your site should show up wherever it would normally rank in pure organic.

apolodor

Inactive
Thank you for your replies, Simon and Linda. I guess the best way to figure this one out is to do a little experiment. I'll register my business to Google+ Local and keep you posted with the results.

Meanwhile, maybe some of you can tell us more on this issue. :confused:

In my opinion, having a Google+ Local page certainly isn't going to hurt. It may never show up and may not do anything for your business but it definitely won't hurt.

One way to determine if you have a prayer for showing up is to see if any Google+ local pages show up when you type in some of the keywords applicable to your business. If you see some listings, then by all means you have a shot of showing up.

Just remember, to have a chance to rank you'll need to use a consistent NAP on your Google+ Local page, citations, and on your website.

Travis Van Slooten

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local Search Forum

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group