More threads by WAHamilton

WAHamilton

Reaction score
Hi all, I found this case pretty fascinating and I wanted to share to see if anyone has seen something like this before. This local auto shop is currently ranking in local pack for "skate sharpening", due to a mention of skate sharpening in a user review. I happen to know that the auto shop does have a skate sharpening machine on site, so it was not a random mention.

However, they have no real website, so it's not like this is also being influenced by on-page mentions of skate sharpening. As far as I can tell, they don't have 'Skate Sharpening Service' selected as a category either.

I personally find it crazy that Google's local search algorithm works this way since it opens up the possibility for really manipulating rankings with fake reviews. Also, imagine if that reviewer was making some kind of inside joke when saying 'skate sharpening'?

Curious if anyone has seen crazy examples like this before.

GoogleReview_Skate Sharpening.PNG

Interesting example. I think review text does impact ranking but not usually this much. I'd say it's probably extreme in this case due to how low the competition is.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom