Backlink Strategy for Brick and Mortar Gift Shop

Ted J.

Hello!

I'm a small business owner of a brick and mortar gift shop in Portland, Oregon called Hello! Good Morning!

I recently did a local search audit on BrightLocal and my main issue is not enough backlinks.

I'm reaching out to you guys to see if you have some good ideas/strategy for building backlinks in my case.

I've been building some content on my website with artist interviews. We work with a lot of artists and I enjoy interviewing them and that's also a part of our brand.

Any other specific ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Best,
Ted

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
@Ted J. , some stones to turn over:

1. Local farmers' market(s). If not as a vendor, you could get a link as a sponsor. Also, you'd come into contact with other people who may have things they could sell at your store (and you could probably squeeze a link out of them in the process).

2. If applicable, any "green" business round-ups, like this: Green Business Directory

3. Local museums' gift shops (you may be able to sell your stuff there).

There's a lot you can do in this case. Shouldn't be tough sledding.

Ted J.

I
@Ted J. , some stones to turn over:

1. Local farmers' market(s). If not as a vendor, you could get a link as a sponsor. Also, you'd come into contact with other people who may have things they could sell at your store (and you could probably squeeze a link out of them in the process).

2. If applicable, any "green" business round-ups, like this: Green Business Directory

3. Local museums' gift shops (you may be able to sell your stuff there).

There's a lot you can do in this case. Shouldn't be tough sledding.
Interesting ideas, thanks!!

Steven12

Google loves Google. Google loves YouTube. Open a Youtube channel, embed videos onsite and put backlinks in the description. Optimize your channel for keywords + location. Announce your new video in Google My Business posts with backlinks to your YT video. Blogger blog with backlinks to video and embed page. Social profiles with links to channel are strong. Press releases work wonders, if done right... Think about it: If your links lead to Google, there is Love.
I do agree with the others, local citations are a strong geo-presence. Much needed as well.

Ted J.

Thank you, Steven! I will make my romantic cyber-overtures to Google.

Last edited:
Hey Ted, I would think any artist or supplier whose items you sell in your store would want to have a "Where you can buy our stuff" page on their website, and on that page they could like to you.