Bilingual GMB

Hi!
Managing GMBs across Canada. The company is bilingual and the business name varies in French and English. Are business names translated when searched? Or should I list both names in the listing?

djbaxter

Administrator
Good question. I don't know the answer but bumping it so it doesn't get overlooked.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
@lindsaykavanagh, no, business names are not translated. Everything else on the GMB page is translated, depending on the language the searcher specifies in Search Settings: the fields, the buttons, the description, and the reviews. But not the name.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
@lindsaykavanagh there is a way to add a name in a second language to your GMB. This particular tip is in The Experts Guide to Local SEO that sponsors this forum. If you haven't already I highly recommend checking it out.

Our sponsors are what keep the lights on here so there are some high level tips that we can't share publicly in order to maximize the value of the guide for those who have purchased it.

Last edited:
It was an outdated guide - link here.

Basically, head over to Google Maps and change your language - then find your location in maps and select it.

From there you select your location on maps and hit "suggest an edit" and edit the business info.

This will then give you the option to edit the name in the language you selected (picture using Starbucks as an example below).

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
@lindsaykavanagh, did that work for your client's business? The Starbucks example may not reflect what happens for another business, because "Starbucks" is just a brand name and not really a word that translates. (Unless a language accommodates loan words - e.g. スターバッ)

@lindsaykavanagh, did that work for your client's business? The Starbucks example may not reflect what happens for another business, because "Starbucks" is just a brand name and not really a word that translates. (Unless a language accommodates loan words - e.g. スターバッ)
Yes, the process worked for me - I own the GMBs I was adjusting and had no issues. I only used Starbucks as an example to provide the screenshots - agreed the brand name doesn't translate.

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group