Brand New Business: Suite, Ste, or # Preferred?

Hi everyone,

We're working with a client that is launching a new business. The city government just provided them a new suite number at an existing street address -- no other business has ever used that exact address before -- it's a clean slate with no references or citations or any kind, the post office doesn't even know about it yet.

Given that, is there a preferred format for the suite number in listings: Suite, Ste or #?

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

Hi Michael,

Be sure to put suite on line 2 now. It's in the guidelines.

Don't use Ste for sure, but whether she prefers Suite or # or just a number when you are setting up from a clean slate I'm not positive. I tend to use Suite but I think the Map Maker Experts recommend #.

Let me see if I can find the thread where we went round and round with them about this.

We have tended to us # as a general rule so that they match between platforms.

Personally, I think it is the consistency of NAP that is important and that stands firm when things keep changing.

@Linda, ARKlady

Thanks! I've read through the referenced posts and some others as well.

Noticed Google Maps overwhelmingly displays "#", rather the "Suite" or "Ste", but that may not reflect the actual data under the hood.

When a user attempts to publicly edit a Maps listing, they are promptly redirected to MapMaker land, where the suite is left blank even if it exists in the Maps listing -- the user is prompted to enter the suite number in the first line -- in standard MapMaker fashion. See screenshot below: Google twice prompts the user to enter "Suite". But it seems once a "Suite" number is entered, it's re-written as "#" in Maps for brevity.

If I'm reading this correctly, I'm tempted to use "Suite" in the dashboard and citations, and let Google re-write it any way they want for display. Of course, they could be writing out "Suite" simply to explain what they want, rather then indicating any particular formatting preference.

Attachments

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group