More threads by Jo Shaer

Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone had any joy with the BL Lead Gen widget that you can embed onto your website to generate a free report?

We have tried that one as well as many other ones - the one in SEMrush, the paid one named something like "MySiteAuditor", and others.

For our firm, those never resulted in any new business. They did produce a few calls now and then, but the callers never seemed to have enough budget to work with them.

Your experience may be completely different, though. If you are already a BrightLocal subscriber, it's free to use, I think. Who knows, it might actually be great for you.

Hi Tim, Yes I am a BL subscriber. It has been up for about 5 months now and has produced 3 'leads'. One did result in a serious enquiry.... yes, budget was an issue. But it's pretty slim pickings.
I guess it all comes back to the value of 'free'. The serious people just don't.

I would point out that your traffic is going to play a major role in this. Are you actively driving targeted traffic to your site so the widget can convert? I'm not saying that the widget is any good (haven't used it) but no lead gen tool will work if there isn't a good amount of targeted traffic.

I may be telling you something you already know but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

I would point out that your traffic is going to play a major role in this. Are you actively driving targeted traffic to your site so the widget can convert? I'm not saying that the widget is any good (haven't used it) but no lead gen tool will work if there isn't a good amount of targeted traffic.

I may be telling you something you already know but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

RE: Traffic - Ditto on traffic! Do use the BL widget and it has produced some quality leads (of which some have converted). You get 20 leads per month (I think) with about any paid plan. Haven't went over the limit on that yet but the widget is easy to configure and install.

@Rik Delta that's really encouraging to hear.

@JoshuaMackens you hit the nail on the head. A lead gen widget is only as good as the traffic to the site. Whether you use ours or another, similar widget, they offer a good way to engage potential customers, give them some value and extract contact details. If the traffic to your site isn't relevant or isn't great enough then the widget won't deliver high quality/quantity of leads.

FYI - we have processed over 600 leads for agency customers in November; roughly 52/day.

Thanks guys and @Myles Anderson, I just wanted to hear of some successes before looking again at the LP. Lots of clicks on our ad but no one actually completing the form...

I got a lead from the BL widget last week. It was a guy in the UK. I have no idea how he found my West Palm Beach Local SEO page lol. But it did work.

What type of ads are you running?
We were running some medrecs on GDN remarketing to people who had visited our website and also to those who are similar to previous visitors. Lots of clicks to the LP but no takers. I think the LP may be the issue... Business owners are still not so aware of Local SEO in the UK.

But it did work.
When you say that, what do you mean? What was the outcome? Simply that they found and completed the form? Or that they actually became a paying client?

When you say that, what do you mean? What was the outcome? Simply that they found and completed the form? Or that they actually became a paying client?
Tim, I should have been more clear. My apologies. I meant that it worked in that the lead did come in, it showed up as expected in the BL dashboard and I got notified by email, and it had a copy of the business info that the person was interested in optimizing along with results of the report.

I reached out by email to let the person know that since they were in the UK I probably wasn't the best fit. I gave them some suggestions but didn't hear back. So I don't know if it would have converted had I been in a better position to help.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom