More threads by bluehabit

Reaction score
As the topic states, are you able to build citations for your business if you do not have a physical address?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
@bluehabit

In that case you'll need to use your home address. There's no way to get listed without using an address. The only question is how concerned are you about privacy.

@Phil

Yes, listing my home address online would make me feel uncomfortable. I wish Google would allow UPS Mail Suite, my bank allows it for my business account, and it works for my LLC as well.

Is there no other way to do citations?

Thanks everyone.

Thanks Phil!

Bluehabit, backing up a bit... Because we covered hiding address with you back in May so I thought that part was understood.

Yes on the G+ L page you need to use home address but then you can/should hide it.

The link I gave you above links to Phil's post about citation sources you can submit to that don't require an address. So only do those if privacy is your biggest issue.

However you likely won't rank as high if there are no citations for the address that's hidden inside your dashboard. Google uses citations as proof that a business is real and sort of like links are a gauge of the businesses popularity. So if others in your market are listed everywhere and you aren't, it will impact ranking.

Realize there are lots of citation sources that Google looks at that consumers seldom would happen to see.

Yes, listing my home address online would make me feel uncomfortable. I wish Google would allow UPS Mail Suite, my bank allows it for my business account, and it works for my LLC as well.

Is there no other way to do citations?

Nope. There's no other way. Beyond that, what Linda said.

This is a very interesting topic actually. Here are my observations:

If you use a PO box across your citations, you will definitely encounter the problem that many sites do not allow PO boxes to be added (i.e. they do not even allow you to enter PO box, or similar phrases in the Street Address fields). However, I have discovered that Google seems to find and NOT ignore citations where the address is a PO box. When they pull the data, I can imagine they ignore the address field, i.e. they do not take it into account when parsing the collected data for a business cluster ("listing"). Thus, it would be impossible for a PO box address to show up publicly for a listing that might have been auto-generated by Google. But again - these citations are (and this is 100% sure) being discovered, and the only question is if they are being taken into account. I believe the answer to the latter is Yes.

I had this problem too but decided to use my home address, now im on the first page

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom