More threads by laurie

Linda, where was I reading that y'all suggested a creating a new listing in a new account so as not to leave a trace in MM history?

Y'all??? Not me. I never recommend deleting and starting over. I think I may remember seeing someone say that but no idea which thread/post.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I tell if it's merged? I set it up a while back. I know it's verified - is merging something different? I"m sorry for all the questions.

Remember the 11 posts where we went back and forth with me explaining it all in this in this thread?
http://localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com/google-business-pages/1873-google-business-page.html

And that post linked to this one with the big screenshot that I said I did specifically for you to SHOW you the different options? http://localsearchforum.catalystema...oogle-local-page-name-conundrum-clearing.html

Sorry I know it's confusing but to avoid trying to type all that again with my carpal pain a link would be so much easier and like Keenan said then we can check out a couple other things to be sure we are giving the best advice.

Sorry...

Someone(s) suggested that when moving from a UPS Store location to a home address, it might be better to create a new listing and mark the old one closed, thus, leaving no history in MM.

Thanks Laurie,

Really rushed for time because new PC is coming and I need to rush it to techs cuz this laptop keeps dying now.

So just blurting out quick observations then others can help you.

1) That page is just a person profile page so no worries, not connected to local and can stay as is.

2) Place page/G+ Local still live and verified:
https://plus.google.com/117607670399105979743/about?gl=us&hl=en

3) WEIRD - what's with this address? Is that still the UPS store address? Or did you change to your home address?

Cuz the map marker is out in the woods. 1009 Middle Rd, Rush, NY - Google Maps

Keenan said: "Someone(s) suggested that when moving from a UPS Store location to a home address, it might be better to create a new listing and mark the old one closed, thus, leaving no history in MM."

Thanks for clarification. I see what you are saying now. I actually was waiting to see if Andrew was going to give that advice and wondered if it may not be better. Was confused due to changed rules re moves. 3 weeks ago either way we would have said move/change address - need to open/close. But NOW are supposed to just edit to change address.

BUT in this case I agree it's kinda like a move BUT more importantly maybe need to just close since was a bad bogus location (UPS store) to begin with.

I'd like to see what Andrew or Flash think about closing old and starting over with a new account. I too think that may be best, so as not to carry over and poison new listing.

ANNNNDDDD I normally don't like to suggest starting over BUT in this case no reviews to lose AND ranking is not really an issue since Google does not show web design listings in the SERPs anyway.

Laurie hang on and don't do anything until we get a few pros weighing in on this OK?
Gotta run.

Thanks for the thoughts, Linda. I think I must have created the places page with our home address before deciding to go with a UPS, and never went back and changed it.
I"d like to at least hide that.

I"ll wait to see what the others say.

So now you think it was never set up at UPS store at all? You didn't look at live listing to see what address was there, before you came here saying it was UPS address?

If it's your home address and that's what I'm seeing live, is the location correct where the Map marker is? Because it looks like it's in the woods.

Better check your dashboard and be sure what address is really inside.

If it's really your home address and that's what's been there all along or at least prior to the call from Google, then no need to wait for other advice.

JUST HIDE IT QUICK.
(FYI Once you change setting in dash it can take 5 days or so for it to be hidden on maps.)

No! I did set up a UPS store address, but took it off yesterday after they called. I took it off the site and hid it in places. I was surprised to see the home address there, so I"m assuming I put that in before we got a ups address.

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:32 AM ----------

No! I did set up a UPS store address, but took it off yesterday after they called. I took it off the site and hid it in places. I was surprised to see the home address there, so I"m assuming I put that in before we got a ups address. So, do you still think I should hide it?

So, my husband has a G+ page and not a G+ local page, correct? So, I don't have to worry about the whole call and address thing? I'm trying to sort this out. I know you're frustrated with me. Sorry, but none of this is very obvious.

No sorry to sound frustrated. It's not you it's me.

I am in middle of major biz crisis with main computer dead and this one dying and madly trying to get new PC and recover files. SO bottom line, I should not even be trying to help you right now cuz I'm crazed - but have been trying my best to help anyway. I should have gotten all the info I needed from you up front like the link instead of having to play 20 questions and going back and forth.

So this is all I can do right now.

NO - G+ is fine IF the page you showed me is the only one.

YES - you are still in serious danger of being deleted.

"I did set up a UPS store address, but took it off yesterday after they called. I took it off the site and hid it in places. I was surprised to see the home address there, so I"m assuming I put that in before we got a ups address. So, do you still think I should hide it?"

You "took it off yesterday?" So to be clear are you saying you ALREADY changed address in dash from UPS to home address?

BECAUSE it's very abnormal for address to change that quickly. It SHOULD have forced you to re-verify. Didn't it make you verify? And even if you did a quick phone verification, it should not have changed that quickly.

Then above you said you ALREADY hid address in dash?

So I don't understand why now you are asking "So, do you still think I should hide it?"

You already did right?

YES address needs to be hidden or listing will be deleted.

PLEASE post screen shot of dashboard edit screen since we have had some mis-communication and confusion to be sure everything is set up right.

I may be gone for awhile getting new PC into the shop. Someone else may help or I'll try to help late tonight when I get caught up.

Linda,

I understand - that can be very time consuming. And thank you for helping me during it all.:)

Here is the G+ page https://plus.google.com/116620999896809505900/posts

I took the address off of the website and hid it in places. The address listed in places is our home address, which I guess it always has been because I did not change that. There seemed to be a question before whether I should hide it or not, but maybe that didn't come from you. So, should I just leave it all as is?

This looks fine to me. I would just leave it like it is, maybe add some photos.

743 is your Places or Map page; local listing.

900 is the social page found in Google+. I imagine that this one has or did have some kind of button asking you to Verify, used to be blue and very tempting. You do NOT want to do that. Just ignore it.

Good job, you're done.

If I'm understanding you right and home address is in dash AND you already selected do not show address. Yes, then leave it like that. There is no question whatsoever that address needs to be hidden. Many thousands of listings have been deleted and gone for months for violating that guideline.

If I'm understanding you right and home address is in dash AND you already selected do not show address. Yes, then leave it like that. There is no question whatsoever that address needs to be hidden. Many thousands of listings have been deleted and gone for months for violating that guideline.

Thanks Keenan!

Linda - can I ask why there is that requirement - that you hide your address? I want to anyway, but wondering why it's in Google's guidelines.

Google does not consider this YOUR business listing or even a business directory listing really. They consider it a MAPS search result. Map locations are real physical places on a map you can drive to.

They strive for accurate results. So they want to avoid a situation where for example...

Let's say you are moving. You search G maps for a moving company. You drive all the way across town to talk to someone in person and when you get there it's an apartment and no one is home. OR it's not an office at all - but a UPS store.

That's the reason for the rule. Make sense?

Google does not consider this YOUR business listing or even a business directory listing really. They consider it a MAPS search result. Map locations are real physical places on a map you can drive to.

They strive for accurate results. So they want to avoid a situation where for example... Let's say you are moving. You search maps for a moving company. You drive all the way across town to talk to someone in person and when you get there it's an apartment and no one is home. OR it's not an office at all you end up at but a UPS store.

That's the reason for the rule.

That's an excellent way of explaining it Linda.

Yes, what Google is doing is damaging (and has been) for 100,000s of businesses but there is a reason for it. I've even had some of my clients agree with the policy - It's no surprise that these are the ones that I have "protected" in time from deletion!!

Thanks Nick.

I should add Laurie that I don't necessarily agree with this policy and fought it tooth and nail for many months.

DEF don't agree listings should be deleted. Thing they should get a warning OR G should just change the setting for them when caught and explain why.

Thanks Nick.

I should add Laurie that I don't necessarily agree with this policy and fought it tooth and nail for many months.

DEF don't agree listings should be deleted. Thing they should get a warning OR G should just change the setting for them when caught and explain why.

I'd like to add that I also don't agree with it, and it's affected a number of high quality businesses in my networking group. I believe the problem has been in how it's been handled rather than the motive itself.

They strive for accurate results. So they want to avoid a situation where for example...

Let's say you are moving. You search G maps for a moving company. You drive all the way across town to talk to someone in person and when you get there it's an apartment and no one is home. OR it's not an office at all - but a UPS store.

That's the reason for the rule. Make sense?

Yes, that does make sense. Thanks.

what i couldn't figure out is why they didn't

A. email business owners about the policy update and explain the consequences
B. pause listings in such a way that a click of a button would bring them back.

from what a google employee told me last week all the new cases are going much quicker than the nov/dec batch and a new method is in place

i personally don't agree with the policy at all. that's just based on knowing many local business owners and not a single one with a service business has had a customer pop in without calling first.

even more odd is google, for some reason is claiming that this is a technical glitch when the communicate with people.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom