More threads by KevinJr

KevinJr

Reaction score
We have been relentlessly working on our Google reviews for several years. I noticed that 2 of our 4.9 Star ratings improved to 5 after we reached 50 reviews. We have a GMB listing at 48 reviews, I hope to get to 50 soon. Has anyone else seen this improvement?

How do you mean the reviews improved? The customer returned and edited the review?

Not sure if the review calculation is still a bayesian average, but that might account for the adjustment.

I'm not sure either, but it makes sense to me that they might be. Mike B wrote a good article a few years back. It's from 2014, but I'd wager it's still relevant since I haven't heard anything different. You can Google the article if you'd like to read it, @KevinJr . It's called Why does Google show a 4.8 rating when I have all 5-star reviews? and is on the LocalU website.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean your overall average it just eventually rounded up I'm guessing.

Google no longer uses the bayesian average. I checked my guide and this happened in February 2017 (before then, they did use it).

It's now based on solely on averages and rounds to the nearest half-star so it's possible to get a 5.0 with negative reviews.

I thought I read somewhere that Google was leaving old reviews out of the average calculation - I don't know if this is correct or what age they are left off

Google no longer uses the bayesian average. I checked my guide and this happened in February 2017 (before then, they did use it).

It's now based on solely on averages and rounds to the nearest half-star so it's possible to get a 5.0 with negative reviews.
What do you mean they round to the nearest half star? Don't we see 4.8 and 4.9 all the time?

That was worded poorly. I meant rounded on a 0.1 decimal level. Not sure how to word that lol but you could be a 4.96 and it would be rounded to 5.0.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom