More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'm using a client's shopify account.

The homepage isn't able to be edited directly I guess, it needs to pull in content from other pages. So the homepage content, is actually another page on the site and the homepage just pulls that content in.

I want to set the canonical URL of that page floating on the site to the homepage so Google will prefer the homepage instance of the content over the actual page.

I tried to set the canonical tag in the html of the page, it took it out.

I tried some custom code to get a canonical field to appear in the backend for the specific page, but no dice (if you've done this before, I'd love your help to recreate it).

I tried a 301 redirect but Shopify doesn't redirect a page unless it's a 404 error. If there isn't a 404 error, the URL will not 301.

I looked for a way to do this in webmaster tools but couldn't find anything.

I think Google will prefer the homepage over the page itself anyway because the homepage is obviously more authoritative but better safe than sorry.

Any advice?

That's one of the ones I found. I tried the code but no go. My initial reaction was that it was for the "products" pages and not regular pages and that's why it didn't work for me.

Does anyone that maybe/maybe not is experienced with Shopify see where I messed up with that? Is that faulty logic? Maybe I just put the code in wrong and need to try again...

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom