More threads by nathangdavidson

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've noticed that when a clients business listing appears in the Local Pack - for a number of different search terms - the business category being displayed, isn't one that they've added to their GMB profile.

Screenshots attached - the Local Pack one is for the search [window shutters]

Is this something I should report to Google to get fixed, if so, how please?

Regards,
Nathan

gmb-screenshot-categories.png

local-pack-screenshot-wrong-category.png

@nathangdavidson, Google Maps has a different line-up of categories from the categories Google My Business lets you choose, and Google Maps sometimes associates those different categories with your page.

Also, Google often shows different GMB categories for your listing based on the search term. Different queries will cause different categories to be displayed.

There is a "Curtain Store" GMB category (at least here in the US), and your client doesn't seem to have picked it. If you look at the source code of the Maps listing (view-source:The Window Shutter Company Ltd) you'll see "Curtain supplier and maker" listed as a category. What puzzles me is how Google got from that to "Curtain shop."

In any case, not that there's much you could do about it, I wouldn't be concerned.

Hello Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

That Google Maps has different categories is news to me. I was under the impression the categories pulled into the Local Pack/Local Finder listings were from GMB, so that was news too!

It just seems seriously odd. This client sells window (plantation) shutters only - no curtains, no blinds, so I feel this is misleading.

Regards,
Nathan

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom