More threads by Oliver Keates

Reaction score
I am a business with a GMB listing based in the UK.

I would like to increase the service area radius around my GMB listing on Google maps.

Is this possible after reading this GMB article? @Tim Colling

Google My Business rolls out feature for new businesses, updates local service area settings - Search Engine Land

Under the option "service areas" it gives me the option to add a city, country and other places. There is no option to set a radius for google maps around a physical location.

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi @Oliver Keates the feature to set a radius has gone away with this new update to SAB's. All you can do is add in the individual areas you service and Google will determine how to display the area on Google Maps.

Add or edit your service area - Google My Business Help

You can no longer set your service area as a distance around your business. If you previously entered a distance around your business, you won't be able to edit it. Instead, you'll need to specify your service area by region, city, or ZIP code.

Thanks @Colan Nielsen. It would be interesting to know why they have changed this feature. I am just exploring the updated feature, is there a recommended number of service areas you should set as you can add multiple locations? For example, United Kingdom, England, County, City.

@Oliver Keates, my best guess is Google wants to make it easier for service-area businesses to specify the areas they really want to reach, so it's easier to pitch Local Services Ads to them. ("Want to show up to customers in all the places you serve?")

On the other hand, Google has a propensity to tinker.

By the way, I've found that specifying a service area by county (when applicable) is less cumbersome than specifying a long list of cities and towns.

@Phil Rozek thanks for this, i don't want to go off on a tangent do you know the status of google service ads for the UK in 2018/19 as i know they have been released in the US?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom