More threads by Dropkick

Reaction score
Hello,

I first want to thank you to the creators of this form and anyone who replies or helps me out and anyone else having the same or similar problem.

I did search the thread and found one person who had the same problem but there were no replies so Im trying (and hoping) for some alternatives.

Ok, here we go.

So my problem is that my google+ business page has the location at the end of its url. So www.googleplus/mybusinessnamemiami as an example. So when people google my business name they dont get my logo and reviews in the right hand column of google. You have to google my business name plus my location in order to get that.

Now from what Ive read I dont think you can change the url name? All of my business is done online and dont even remember why I put a location to begin with but this is hurting me for people that are googling my business. If someone could clarify that this cannot be changed or undone?

In the event that it can't be changed or undone, would it be in my best interest to just delete it all and start over? I have read everywhere that its not smart to delete and start over and that almost all problems can be fixed or that my old page will still cling around? I would rather delete and start over while my reviews and business is still growing before its too late.

Again, I know this was long and I appreciate any and all help. Thanks again

Sincerely Jeff!

I first want to thank you to the creators of this form and anyone who replies or helps me out and anyone else having the same or similar problem.

Hi Jeff and welcome

So my problem is that my google+ business page has the location at the end of its url. So www.googleplus/mybusinessnamemiami as an example. So when people google my business name they dont get my logo and reviews in the right hand column of google. You have to google my business name plus my location in order to get that.

Now from what Ive read I dont think you can change the url name? All of my business is done online and dont even remember why I put a location to begin with but this is hurting me for people that are googling my business. If someone could clarify that this cannot be changed or undone?

OK so the 1st issue is that if you only do business online, you don't qualify for a G+ Local page.
Those pages are only for local businesses that see customers face to face.

Part of the reason you only get a KP if you search name + city is that Google has to be pretty certain what company you are searching for in order to show it. Nationally there could be lots of businesses with somewhat similar names, so if someone instead searches for "Bob's Plumbing Denver" it helps G feel sure which business you are searching for and she's more likely to show the KP.

So that's the reason you only get the knowledge graph if you search for name + city.
It's not due to the city being in the custom URL at all.

You are correct that in most cases you can't change your custom URL. But in your case it sounds like you should not have a local page at all. FYI that local page only has the potential to rank for the city you are actually in, so won't help you much for national searches anyway.

Does that info help?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom