More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I've noticed on a couple G+ Local pages there is a clickable category, highlighted blue. Clicking it takes me to the G+ Local search page and shows related businesses with that category.

wight tree service category.png

Goes to:

https://plus.google.com/local/Georgina, ON/s/Plant Nursery?rfmt=s&hl=en&gl=ca&partnerid=gplp0

Anyone else seeing this?

wight tree service category.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Local Category links?

Hi All,

I noticed the listed categories on local listings, while signed in, have a link on them. When the link is clicked, that opens a list of other businesses with the same category in that geography. The list is similar to the new maps "go to list of top results" but also contains review snippets.

I'm not sure if this is new or not but I wasn't able to find anything on the subject.

categorylinks.jpg
categorylinks1.jpg

categorylinks.jpg

categorylinks1.jpg

It does work me for me now. Didn't realize that you need to be logged in.

Great birddogging, both of you. Thanks for catching and sharing.

I merged threads in chron order, so we have everything in one place and don't have a split convo on this.

Can't wait to dig in and explore. Feel like there is more and this is all part of some slowly rolling out grand plan, that Google is just giving us piece by piece. :p

Feel like soon we'll be saying: "WOW! So remember this little update and that little change and this other new feature - THIS is where she was heading!"

I agree Linda, all these little changes lately are adding up to something big

Re: Google Local Category links?

When the link is clicked, that opens a list of other businesses with the same category in that geography. The list is similar to the new maps "go to list of top results" but also contains review snippets.

Just had time to look at this.

The link that goes to the list of businesses is not the same view you get for new maps "go to list of top results".

The link goes to regular Google+ Local Search results with KW city at top of page.

So clicking Dentist on this listing: https://plus.google.com/109828730326910431465/about?gl=us&hl=en

Takes you to G+ Local search results here: https://plus.google.com/local/Atlanta, GA/s/Dentist?gl=us&hl=en

Clicking Top Results from New Maps takes you here. Different ranking order + different display.

OH weird. In checking the links I just noticed that bottom link to Top Results list...
The ranking order in FF for me is totally different than the ranking order in Chrome.

So bottom line is you have no idea how a user will search, where they will land, what browser they may be using therefore have NO WAY to predict what result they will see. So need to double check rankings a few different places and just try to get your client on top everywhere???

(Sure glad I don't work on client rankings for a living any more! These changes make my head spin.)

Good catch, gentlemen.

I, too, see the link when I'm signed out of Google, but it's only clickable when I'm signed in. Clicking it simply performs a search in plus.google.com for the category you clicked on - which I think is what Linda referred to.

What's weird is last night I was looking at a listing that had been marked as closed/moved, and that hyperlinked category said "Helpline." It confused the hell out of me, because I was looking at the listing for a counseling service in the UK, and didn't realize that "helpline" has a different meaning there from what it means here in the States. I thought that the link was a way to get Google's phone support on the phone about the closed/moved listing!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom