More threads by georgebizpro

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a client who recently changed addresses, business name, and phone number. It was a law firm, one of the partners split off but we wanted to keep the domain and GMB profile because of existing reviews and authority.

We've been updating the new business NAP on third party citation sites manually (as many as possible), we've also been utilizing Moz Local. However, rankings this month have started dropping off.

Does anyone have any resources they can share regarding best methods when a business is moving/changing names? GMB profile has been updated, website updated, want to make sure we're staying on top of everything. Thanks in advance for any insight.

@georgebizpro, besides getting a jump on the updates (as you've done), there's not much you can do. Especially if the new location is farther than a few miles from the old location. Try to offset the short-term hit by keeping the reviews coming in, and maybe by getting a couple of links relevant to the new location / area.

Can you clarify what location you are scanning the ranking report from that is showing the drop? Is Search Console also showing a traffic loss?

It may be productive to invest in a little PPC advertising targeting the original location, for a little while.

HI George, I recently went through this and am now utilizing Whitespark.ca citation clean up service and it has and is making a huge difference. They manually update the citations, which is awesome. Let me know if you have any questions. otherwise, I definitely recommend outsourcing the work if your budget allows. Their citation team is literally one of the best there is! Here's more info : https://whitespark.ca/citation-audit-and-cleanup-service/

HI George, I recently went through this and am now utilizing Whitespark.ca citation clean up service and it has and is making a huge difference. They manually update the citations, which is awesome. Let me know if you have any questions. otherwise, I definitely recommend outsourcing the work if your budget allows. Their citation team is literally one of the best there is! Here's more info : https://whitespark.ca/citation-audit-and-cleanup-service/
joy also wrote a great article ; Moving Your Office Without Losing Rankings: The Local Business Owner's Guide - Search Engine Land a bit older post but still good.

Last edited:

Thanks, Susan! @georgebizpro please shoot me an email if you'd like to discuss our citation cleanup services. darren@whitespark.ca

Can you clarify what location you are scanning the ranking report from that is showing the drop? Is Search Console also showing a traffic loss?

I'd also be curious to know the answer to Joys question.

Are you able to share the old address and the new address?

I'd also be curious to know the answer to Joys question.

Are you able to share the old address and the new address?

This is critical. If the office moved to a new neighborhood/zip code, the loss of rankings is logical & unavoidable. In some ways you're almost starting fresh. A press release noting the move & the reason for it may help. Maintain the same local SEO activities that brought you success at the old space - eventually Google should catch on.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom