More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
This makes me so annoyed but Ben Fisher has just spotted the first instance of a competitor's ad showing up on a business Knowledge Panel. I am hoping this is a test that Google doesn't actually follow through with.

Let me know if any of you spot one like this.

Good find. Can't say I've seen it. Given that that's a Yelp move, and Google's becoming more Yelp-like, I'm sure it's not the last in-listing ad we see.

This is so gross. But it makes sense if Google is planning to monetize GMB listings. Like Phil said, a Yelp move.

I don't know what to call it but it's the shadiest thing I think Google has done in recent memory. :mad:

Not surprised honestly. Google is a business, profits are their purpose. Seo is only allowed by google, because we bring the content. High ranking is a reward for great content. Then they can remarket off our efforts.

Totally not surprising, especially after seeing a business' own Groupon ads on its own knowledge panel a couple years ago. I expect to see more ads in more places. Even Amazon runs competitor ads on a product listing.

Both Amazon and Ebay run competitive adverts on items. It is something I detest. Especially with Ebay the seller is paying to have their item listed and it is plagued with adverts for other items.

I had a customer ring me thinking I was selling a competitors make of gas. When I asked why my business was listed when searching for the competitors gas. I tried it and he was correct.

Google Competitor Ads as "Ransom"

Basecamp Google Ad - We Don't Want To Run This Ad But...

by Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Roundtable
Sept 4, 2019

Founder & CEO at Basecamp, Jason Fried, posted a screen shot on Twitter of a Google Ad the company bought that reads "Basecamp.com - We don't want to run this ad." The ad description goes on to read "we're the #1 result, but this site lets companies advertise against us using our brand. So here we are. A small, independent co. forced to pay ransom to a giant tech company."

Here is a screen shot of the Google search ad:

basecamp-google-ad-unwanted-1567598952.png

Jason Fried added "When Google puts 4 paid ads ahead of the first organic result for your own brand name, you’re forced to pay up if you want to be found. It’s a shakedown. It’s ransom. But at least we can have fun with it. Search for Basecamp and you may see this attached ad."

Yes, he is calling Google Ads in this scenario "ransom."

Read more...

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom