More threads by Linda Buquet

Re: Critical 4 Local - Author Rank, Publisher & Author Markup - What you NEED to Know

The problem with using a Places/Local page for the publisher tag is that I have not yet seen a way to verify the link between the page and the site as you can with a Google+ Business page. You can link the two by adding the site to your Local page and a rel=publisher tag to your homepage, but there's no way to verify the link through your Local page. So it's hard to say if Google will recognize that as an "official" publisher markup. But, it wouldn't hurt to just do it for the time being until they add that ability to Local pages.

Re: Critical 4 Local - Author Rank, Publisher & Author Markup - What you NEED to Know

Will do

---------- Post Merged at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Sorry about the double post (15 minutes was up)

I checked it out and it rich snippets it is not giving me any errors (the way it will if rel=author is not verified)

I guess i will just wait and see, but it looks as of right now as though it is supported (at least as far as rich snippets testing is concerned)

Yeah, if it shows a publisher link to your Google+ page, then you should be good. But the testing tool will only show it as "linked", just not "verified".

Hey David:

I know the home page is where we normally put the publisher mark up, but what are your thoughts on adding both authorship mark up and publisher mark up to the home page?

Could this be why some listings are able to show an image in local results?

Or, do you think it's enough to add publisher to the home page, authorship to the blog posts and link the blog posts to the home page?

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Dino

From what I understand, adding both markups on one page will cause some confusion on Google's part. So it's best to do one or the other. If you want the image to show up in the SERPs, just use the authorship tag on all of the pages, then.

I was trying to figure out some things regarding Local G+ Page website linking, so I thought I would add to this great thread.

Does anyone know if there has been any updates with the process for linking and verifying a website with a Local G+ Page?

Or is it still as Dave said last year?:

"The problem with using a Places/Local page for the publisher tag is that I have not yet seen a way to verify the link between the page and the site as you can with a Google+ Business page. You can link the two by adding the site to your Local page and a rel=publisher tag to your homepage, but there's no way to verify the link through your Local page. So it's hard to say if Google will recognize that as an "official" publisher markup. But, it wouldn't hurt to just do it for the time being until they add that ability to Local pages."

Re: Critical 4 Local - Author Rank, Publisher, Author Markup - What you NEED to Know

Forgive me if I repeat / miss anything, as I've only read the last few posts in this thread.

Yeah, if it shows a publisher link to your Google+ page, then you should be good. But the testing tool will only show it as "linked", just not "verified".

rel="publisher" pointing to the local page works fine for me, and the rich snippet testing tool shows the publisher as being "verified" not "linked." See the end of my post here for common causes of just a "linked" message.

I know the home page is where we normally put the publisher mark up, but what are your thoughts on adding both authorship mark up and publisher mark up to the home page?Could this be why some listings are able to show an image in local results?Or, do you think it's enough to add publisher to the home page, authorship to the blog posts and link the blog posts to the home page?

I've recently come across articles sharing a new warning in Webmaster Tools alerting sites that they're using authorship on the homepage.I've long told my clients that you should only use author tagging on articles.

Yes, many get away with getting their image in the SERPs for their homepage, but that is an improper use of the markup, and it looks like some are getting in trouble for it.

see: Google Starts Penalizing Sites for Rich Snippet Spam - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)

Here's how you should use publisher / author tags:

1) Publisher - put your Google + Local URL (with /about suffix) in the Social > Google Plus area in the Yoast plugin. This will add it to the homepage only.

2) Author - put your G+ personal URL in the G+ space in your User profile (WordPress), then go to Yoast > Titles & Metas > Post Types tab and make sure rel="author" is only being shown on POSTS.From there, Authorship and Publishership should work properly.

Some common problems with publisher and the G+ local listing:

- linked but not verified (no green writing)
- make sure your G+ local listing has the correct URL
- test both www. and non-www versions).
- make sure you put the full url with /about at the end. I've had greater success with that for some reason =\url should look like this:

https://plus.google.com/110471016000628728985/about

no /b/ or /u/b/ or whatever... remove that stuff.

- URL on the G+ local listing is a custom URL like so:https://plus.google.com/+businessnamehere

if that's the case, then you'll have to put the custom URL in your Yoast plugin (step 1) NOT the other version of the URL.

NOTE:
Make sure you update this if you select a custom URL after you setup Yoast. If you forget, publishership likely won't work anymore.

so you should enter this: https://plus.google.com/+businessnamehere/about

Hope that all helps ;)

---------- Post Merged at 05:48 PM ----------
Previous Post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Need multiple publishers on the same site?

This is a way you can tackle a multi-location business.

Requirements:

1) Optimized location landing page for each location

2) A G+ local listing for each location

3) Header and Footer Plugin for WordPress - WordPress › Header and Footer ? WordPress Plugins

Directions:

1) Install plugin and put the following code into the header for the site. I prefer using this plugin so you don't have to re-add the code each time you update / change themes.

2) Change the G+ URLs and the Page IDs accordingly.

<script src="https://gist.github.com/patrickodacre/6a87a99d999ad8635622.js"></script><link rel="stylesheet" href="https://gist.github.com/assets/embed-4a60a90e919fc1655badfd99a34e0372.css">
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 // Put this in the header for multiple location publishership

<?php
global $post;
if($post->post_type == 'page' && $post->ID == 'PAGE_POST_ID_HERE'){
echo '<link href="Google_Plus_URL_1" rel="publisher" />';
}
if($post->post_type == 'page' && $post->ID == 'PAGE_POST_ID_HERE'){
echo '<link href="Google_Plus_URL_2" rel="publisher" />';
}
?>

<tbody>
</tbody>

view raw Multiple Publishers hosted with ❤ by GitHub

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://gist.github.com/assets/embed-4a60a90e919fc1655badfd99a34e0372.css">

3) Do this and then put the location landing page URLs in the URL fields of their respective G+ Local listings.Do this for as many locations as you need. :)

Excellent info. Thanks for sharing.

I see a lot of the u/o /b or whatever showing up in the urls and correcting that in the code can fix the issue. Any idea why the G+ local URL does that?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Just the way Google matches up the URLs, I guess. =\

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom