More threads by Keenan Glass

Reaction score
Google announced the widespread roll out of custom or vanity URLs for G+ Profiles and G+ (Local) Pages today... (finally).

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleBusiness/posts/JVAgfxKHQ8u

I'm sure you guys have seen it.

A couple of points...

To qualify, your page needs 10 followers and a profile image.

You get what you get, there is no mechanism to request an alternate for pages, just profiles. People outside the U.S. or who have a non-.com TLD are not very happy with the option they received.

You can't change it once you accept it.

The custom URLs are NOT case sensitive (which is good).

If you don't like the capitalization forced upon you, after the url has been accepted there is a section on the profile page that allows you to edit the format (not the url). It can take a little while to update, but it will.

The Help doc is here...

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2676340

So, may the Google Gods be with you and give you the custom URL you want.

Oh and you can now follow me https://plus.google.com/+KeenanGlass

Thanks for posting Keenan. Was out most of day getting a procedure done on my vocal cords. I saw all the emails with Google but didn't have time to really read in detail or post. So I appreciate you giving everyone the overview!

So, may the Google Gods be with you and give you the custom URL you want.

You crack me up! :p

Oh and you can now put your G+ link in your sig.

Then it will be in every post and you will get more followers. I just added you to my Local Search Pros circle. Feel special now?

Ya, it's late and I'm feelin' slap happy. :p

Thanks Linda, I do feel special now.

One other note, the roll out could take a few days, so if your +Page qualifies, but the custom URL blue bar and invite are not at the top when you log in as a Manager, just wait.

Got an email about this yesterday that mine was ready for a custom URL but it only gives me one option.

Any idea how they're assigning the URL? Mine looks like it was based off my website URL:

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 10.55.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 10.55.02 AM.png

I think it's off the website URL - we got +KickpointCa, which is our website URL but we use kickpointinc everywhere else. We're not claiming for now. I'm hoping they add an option to change it later.

Hey Dana!

Thanks so much for joining us and posting. Look forward to your participation.

Any idea how they're assigning the URL? Mine looks like it was based off my website URL:

Well, they claim it is based on a number of factors, but yes, URL seems to be an overriding factor.

---------- Post Merged at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:54 AM ----------

We're not claiming for now. I'm hoping they add an option to change it later.

Sounds like a good plan while we wait for feedback regarding the issue.

Thanks Keenan!

If one switches/upgrades to a custom G+ profile URL, does that mean you will need to change your G+ profile links in the places where you have inserted authorship mark-up?

If one switches/upgrades to a custom G+ profile URL, does that mean you will need to change your G+ profile links in the places where you have inserted authorship mark-up?

No, I don't believe so. The old url doesn't become invalid, just re-directs to the custom url.

I've been distracted with health issues, so have only glanced at all the emails flying between Google and Top Contributors. So can't say I'm really super informed on this option at this point.

But Jade just offered a statement she said we can share re appealing a custom URL:

"At this time, we do not allow you to appeal your assigned Custom URL. Based on user feedback, we?ll determine any necessary updates to this process.

We want to make sure that people, brands and organizations have URLs that point to the proper entity or individual behind them. We?ll use a number of signals, including the name of the page/profile, and the website associated with the page. All custom URLs are subject to the Google+ Terms of Service, which prohibit impersonation or deceptive behavior."

If you are one of the unfortunate ones who received a custom url with a TLD extension (org, net or international, etc), I suggest that you NOT accept the custom url and wait while the complaints continue to pile in and give them time to assess the feedback.

If you just don't like the URL because it doesn't match your other accounts or you just don't like it, I don't think you will be offered a remedy.

Looks like they're making some changes and possibly allowing more variations than something based on the website URL...I just got another email from Google and now I have 2 options for my custom URL:

Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 4.31.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 4.31.27 PM.png

Thanks John!

They just emailed me a choice of 2 as well...

google.com/+CatalysteMarketingSanMarcos
google.com/+Catalystemarketing

Has anyone heard any success stories with requesting a custom URL different than the two reserved ones offered by Google via contacting a Google Rep by phone?

And what advantages might there be for a local business to go with a very long custom URL such as google.com/+rosenbergAndDalgrenLLPFortLauderdale as opposed to just google.com/+RdLawyers ?

Does having the city name in the URL offer any SEO benefit?

Thanks!

I'm getting 2 or 3 the options for the custom URL on some clients. On one or two of the options the locator keyword (town) is included after the custom url. Our town name is kind of long so i'm not sure the positive or negatives to choosing the option with the location keyword. Any thoughts?

Has anyone heard any success stories with requesting a custom URL different than the two reserved ones offered by Google via contacting a Google Rep by phone?

Its my understanding that they will not change the url. they will only change the capitalization/diacritics of the url:

This is from Google:
Change your custom URL

If you want to change the capitalization or accents/diacritics of your custom URL, follow these steps:

1. Go to the "Links" section of your Google+ profile.
  2. A box will appear allowing you to make edits to the formatting.
Remember, you can only change the capitalization or accents/diacritics of the URL, not the URL itself.

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2676340?hl=en&topic=2400106

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom