More threads by Gsmithmike

Reaction score
I know that somehow having a dedicated domain ex: .ca, .US, is good when you are targeting a specific region, but is it all the same for IP? - For ecommerce i know you need a dedicated IP, but what about a Local Business? - Let's say you are located in Los Angeles, California,

- is it better to get a dedicated hosting from California?
- Is it better to have share hosting or dedicated, VPS?
- I think if you are having a local hosting you will have better content management experience, just getting from one IP to another, or sharing it with local..

Let me know

- Has anyone ever tried Local Hosting to see differences?

On an old domain that I used to manage we had a local dedicated host specific to our location, after a few years we went to shared host outside of our location.

Didn't seem to matter at all to rankings.

For a local business IP and c-block don't matter much.

It's more important to ensure your host has a high up-time and low load times.

Totally agree with the above. As long as you're not hosting in a bad neighborhood (e.g., ThePlanet which has long been a haven for spammers and scammers), whether it is shared, VPS, or dedicated hosting with a dedicated IP makes little or no difference.

The quality of your hosting can affect page load times and site up time though and those are still ranking factors.

As long as you're not hosting in a bad neighborhood (e.g., ThePlanet which has long been a haven for spammers and scammers), whether it is shared, VPS, or dedicated hosting with a dedicated IP makes little or no difference.

Wow, I've never heard of 'bad neighbourhood' in relation to the datacenter. I have a dedicated server at Softlayer, which used to be ThePlanet. I've been there for years and years. I've also hd my pool of dedicated IPs for years.

Is there really any real-world concern about the datacenter?

Regards,
Jim

Well I am going back a few years now to when I was still using shared hosting and The Planet used to be a festering haven for spammers. I would be happy to hear that they've cleaned up their act. In the old days, my attempts to complain about spam sites they hosted were totally ignored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm hoping it isn't an issue - never fun moving everything to a new box! They are now owned by IBM. I also routinely run blacklist checks on my IPs, so I don't see how there could be any penalties... I hope!

I'm happy to hear that. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason to have a dedicated IP is to make sure that you aren't caught on a shared IP with other websites that are spamming/black hatting/PBN'ing.

Theoretically, being on the same C class IP block with these entities could endanger you if the hammer were ever to fall on them. It is theorized that if Google saw many offenders on the same C class IP, they may chalk up the entire lot to spam and hammer everyone on the IP with a penalty or even a deindexation.

I think the chances of that are slim but there are anecdotes out there claiming this has happened.

You can't really control your neighbors on a shared IP.

If you have a dedicated IP, you have no neighbors and therefore no one to endanger you.

A dedicated IP theoretically would not help with rankings. It's just a precautionary measurement.

Thanks for the folks, answering, but has anyone tried to get hosting from a local provider? - all you are mentioning is somehow theoretical anyone with the real results?

Thanks for the folks, answering, but has anyone tried to get hosting from a local provider? - all you are mentioning is somehow theoretical anyone with the real results?

In a world that is increasingly using cloud solutions...There is a reason we have schema, domain extensions, webmaster tool settings, etc. that dictate location.

If it were worthwhile I imagine you would hear more about it...

Matt Clutts says it has a factor (5-6 years ago?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXt...&x-yt-ts=1421914688&feature=player_detailpage

But I would love to see someone run an actual test targeting (specifically) local search rankings based on moving a website from different servers (which is a huge pain in the ass).

In another older interview, as he hints here, he pointed out that it is a factor but not the only one. For example, I have a .ca domain hosted in the US for probably going on 20 years now. It has always ranked well in Canada and especially in my city because the site is .ca and there are multiple indicators on the site as to the business location, so neither Google nor site visitors have ever been confused as to where the business is situated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom