More threads by hajnasiewicz

hajnasiewicz

GMB Product Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Good day, for grocery stores, our primary category is Grocery and secondary is Supermarket. Would it go against Google Guidelines if we were to add Deli and Bakery to our categories in our GMB account? Deli and Bakery are departments, they do not have their own checkout and they do not have a separate entrance/exit from the building. I'm looking for ways to grow visibility but I don't want to create a conflict with best practices. I look forward to your input. Thank you.

I say go for it. I don't even think those types of departments would qualify for listings because they don't have different entrances or hours.

@JoyHawkins This is a case where I wonder about "category dilution" or category confusion. Do you think they'll even have a chance of ranking for bakery or deli? Maybe in the immediate proximity. I'm starting to think category dilution isn't a thing. What are your thoughts?

Darren I've seen zero indications that category dilution exists. I think "incorrect" category dilution is a thing. Meaning if you add categories that don't actually represent what your business does then that may have a negative impact.

So if you do offer a service that is covered by a GMB category make sure to add it.

I can't find many grocery stores ranking in the local finder for bakery, deli, or pharmacy (unless they are unique listings), but I agree that it won't hurt to add the categories. I only found one listing ranking for deli that had the primary category set to Supermarket.

I thank you all for taking the time to reply. Cheers!

Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but...

<rant>

Doesn't it seem "broken" that a perfectly good, competent, thoroughly-ready-to-serve-the-public pharmacy cannot have its own GMB listing just because it is inside of a supermarket?

It's almost as if the pharmacy department is paying what I call a "chump tax", because it's kind of a chump for playing by Google's rules when those rules don't really benefit the buying public, especially when Google doesn't really actively enforce the rules until someone fingers them to the (Google) cops.

</rant>

<rant>

Doesn't it seem "broken" that a perfectly good, competent, thoroughly-ready-to-serve-the-public pharmacy cannot have its own GMB listing just because it is inside of a supermarket?

It's almost as if the pharmacy department is paying what I call a "chump tax", because it's kind of a chump for playing by Google's rules when those rules don't really benefit the buying public, especially when Google doesn't really actively enforce the rules until someone fingers them to the (Google) cops.

</rant>

Hey Tim, that's an interesting example. Can you share the details? In Canada a Pharmacy that is located inside of another business has its own ownership and should be allowed to have its own listing. But I haven't put much thought into this specific scenario before. Would love to dive into it a bit more.

@hajnasiewicz, I'd definitely add those as categories to the supermarket's listing, but I would not suggest trying to create "department" listings.

Also, you'll probably want the landing page (probably the homepage) to have a section on the bakery and another on the deli, if possible.

<rant>

</rant>
Hi Tim, but Pharmacies with separate entrance and separate checkout can. And I think separate checkout register is key. We have been successful with listings for our in-store pharmacies all but two have their own entrance, but every one of them have their own checkout, customers cannot check out prescriptions through grocery checkout lanes.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom