More threads by Hans

Hans

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to check on the following:
My client has 2 businesses/services operating in one business address, sharing the same website. They are standalone businesses and under different management.

Can we create 2 different GMB listing, both with different company names, and URL, but with the same address?
For example:

GMB 1:
Name: Business 1
URL: example.com/service1
Address: Address XYZ

Name: Business 2
URL: example.com/service2
Address: Address XYZ

Thanks in advance.

We are gong to need the specifics in order to better answer this. My initial thought is no. This would violate Google’s TOS and cause the second listing to become suspended.

We are gong to need the specifics in order to better answer this. My initial thought is no. This would violate Google’s TOS and cause the second listing to become suspended.

Have you a link to where it says that in the TOS?

I know it says
"Don’t create more than one page for each location of your business"

But I don't see why that would apply if it's 2 completely separate businesses though.

Google has a lot of policies that they don’t publicly share. If they find a business using the same address they will suspend it and make the business owner prove that they are there. Google is intentionally vague for a reason. I have worked several cases where businesses were suspended for sharing the same address as another business.

Are they in related categories?

Hi @Rich Owings , both in different category.

In my country, many businesses are having shared offices. So wondering if there are 2 separate companies, but under the same category and same address, how is Google able to tell whether this violates their policies.

Google does routine spot checks on listings to ensure that they qualify. Keep in mind your competitors and their marketing companies can report you via suggest an edit or the business redressal form. Google does review each submission on the redressal form and if they determine that a listing is in violation, they will take action and suspend the listing(s).

There are plenty of businesses that share the same address, such as those in shopping malls, etc. To minimize the chances of suspension, they should use separate websites and phone numbers.

Shopping malls are different. Each store has their own suite number. Google treats them differently. Business at the mall also have business licenses, phone records to prove that they are legitimate businesses. A user just posted this thread in the GMB community forum where they were suspended for using the same address. They hide both addresses, but Google suspended the second location. Google is cracking down on GMB spam, the forum is filled with business that are either getting suspended or not able to become fully verified.

I've been told that if there are 2 out of 3 variables that are different, then it should be ok. We see this when serving clients that have a store front, and then a franchise development office. Same address, different suite, different phone number, different URL, similar name but still different. For example, Bakery Storefront and Bakery Storefront Franchise Development LLC. Do you see any problem with this? We get flagged for duplication and I'm in conversation with Google about several of these locations. No resolution, but not suspension. Thanks for the input!

Google is cracking down on the spam and enforcing their TOS. If the business in question does not have storefront photos and get reported, Google will suspend the listing.

Google is cracking down on the spam and enforcing their TOS. If the business in question does not have storefront photos and get reported, Google will suspend the listing.
Thanks for the heads up. We haven't gotten suspended yet, but I will take proactive measures and begin gathering photos.

I doubt that it is somehow interconnected
Why?

Note also that this thread is from January 2020, getting on to a year old. A lot of things have changed with Google since then, not the least of which was the COVID-19 lockdowns and remote working arrangements at Google across the globe, just like many other companies.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom