More threads by PaulSteinbrueck

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I read the rules but if I missed something let me know.

I have 2 computers in my office - one for generating search ranking reports and one for everything else. I am seeing a lot of situations where I'm getting different results on the two computers.

For example, when I search Google on my computer for ?Christian Churches near Middletown, OH? I see 3 ads followed by the local 3 pack. I click ?More Places? I see that one of our SEO clients, First United Methodist Church of Middletown, is #7 out of 36 local listings. But when I search Google from the computer we use to generate search ranking reports, there are 49 local listings and First UMC Middletown is not in them.

Second example, when I search Google on my computer for ?Blended churches near Middletown, OH? I?m shown the local 3 pack at the top of the results and First UMC is #1. But when I search Google from the other computer, Google does not include the local 3 pack in the search results at all (though First UMC is #1 in the general results shown). Continuing on the other computer, when I go directly to Google Maps and search there it says it has no results.

Any idea what's going on here?

I know there was a big Google local update last week. I also know rankings can fluctuate while an update is rolling out. Do you think this is related?

Since both computers are in the same office, I believe the IP addresses would look the same to Google, but there could be cookies or something else that might distinguish them for Google. Are maps/local results personalized?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Eric, I appreciate the resource.

However, now I'm even more perplexed. I compared the top 20 Google maps/local results in brightlocal.com to the results sets I got on my computer and my ranking reports computer. It was completely different than both of them. In fact brightlocal.com and my computer had only 11 of the top 20 in common. brightlocal.com and the ranking reports computer had only 13 of the top 20 in common. My 2 computers have 12 of the top 20 in common.

Sure sounds like personalization of results. Are you using incognito mode?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom