More threads by getphound

Reaction score
Have any of you done direct mail advertising (postcards or letters) to local businesses selling SEO, online marketing, etc.? Had any success? What were the results like? How populated is the area around you? Trying to get some insight on this. Thanks so much!

RC

Thanks, that's a great question.

However, so you know not many Pros check in over the weekend. Guess they all have lives or something. :rolleyes: ;)

So if you don't get any replies, please bump Monday during business hours when more have their eye on the forum. I'll Tweet now though to see if I can raise anyone that's not already out playing with the fam.

I did a small test with postcards in the uk a couple of years ago. They included screen grabs alerting the business owner to their negative reviews. Had zero success. Would be interested if anyone else had success with this method.

I have not done this yet, but if I do, it would consist of sending a fedex or some other mail that requires the signature of the person you would most want to contact. It could be pricey, but at least you get read...

I think it would be cheaper and better if you emailed them a direct proposal.

I've wanted to test that, email them some initial comments, and create a dedicated page to their business on my website. It's more personable and they can see that I really did some homework to get in front of them.

I have never had the time to do that, though. I've built my business solely on referrals from current clients. Wow your customers, and ask for referrals. Works well :D

Well, the idea is that a cold email is harder to get through to a decision-maker than a piece of snail mail they have to sign to receive...

I do like your idea of a link to a webpage on your business site personalized to that business, and even that person's name.

Maybe if you had some sort of offer or promotion then direct mail would work? Not really sure since I've only received and ignored most direct mail (unless it's from a company I bought a product from: my Rochester plug for the day is for The Great House of Guitars :D).

What sort of strategy do you have around the direct mail method? If it's more for new business outreach, then it might make sense to try the email route since it would be less expensive and possibly more effective.

I'm not sure email would be more effective, but it would definitely be less expensive. But if the first step is to simply get noticed, being forced to sign for a delivery rather than an email scattered with dozens of others in their inbox, would probably get their attention. I'm strictly referral-based as well as connections through my chamber of commerce, so I haven't tried the strategy personally, but I've heard other try something similar and have always thought it would be an interesting way to test cold leads...

I think it would be cheaper and better if you emailed them a direct proposal.

I've wanted to test that, email them some initial comments, and create a dedicated page to their business on my website. It's more personable and they can see that I really did some homework to get in front of them.

I have never had the time to do that, though. I've built my business solely on referrals from current clients. Wow your customers, and ask for referrals. Works well :D

Hey Blake,

I've tossed around the idea of direct mail but I really like this approach with an email and a link to your website so you can track things. And it's also nice to get people on your website so you can direct them to whatever links you want.

I have done a few proposals trying to land bigger clients. Taking those proposals and changing a few things around for new client would be easy. It's a template pretty much. Just plug some things in then post on your site along with a ranking report and send an email.

The key is to go after potential clients you know who have a budget. So anyone advertising or spending money on Adwords.

However, referrals like you say are a great way. All you have to do is ask. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to add it into emails and in every phone conversation I have with clients who are happy with the results.

We have a printing division and here's the secret.

#1 It's starts with a good list. Know thy customer.
#2 Get creative. Make sure your postcard looks better and has a better selling point than anything else in the mail that day.
#3 Bigger is better. We recommend 8.5" X 11" or 11" X 5". It will stand out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the mail.

If you are going to send a letter it will be thrown in the trash. It won't even get opened 80%+ of the time. If you want to send a letter and you want it to get opened. HAND ADDRESS IT. Believe it or not there are services for this in most large cities. Expensive, but worth it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom