More threads by giannid

Reaction score
Does Google put a limit on the number of time you can change the name of your business? Looking at trying some different things and figured I'd ask before I try.

Does Google put a limit on the number of time you can change the name of your business? Looking at trying some different things and figured I'd ask before I try.
They don't have a limit per se. But you can run into all kinds of issues from changing your name in GMB multiple times. Your listing could trigger a suspension and/or drops in ranking.

Can you tell us more about why you want to change your name multiple times?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks Colan, I agree!

Looking at trying some different things...

People don't usually "try" changing their business name several times - even once is hard due to rebranding. So sounds like you might be thinking of trying to play around with adding city or different keywords or something?

Keep in mind that one of the most important GMB guidelines is that you must use your real business name, exactly as you use it in the real world. The name that name way you answer the phone with the name you use on your bank acct, taxes, signage, biz cards, city business license, etc.

Changing name can mess with your citations, which can have a negative effect on things as well.

I think anytime you change name, address or phone, it triggers some type of moderation or review or at the very least puts up a red flag. If changed more than once in a short period of time, it would surely trigger something, like Colan said. It's pretty easy for Google to see when things don't match up.
She knows all, sees all! Haha :p

I recently eliminated a business category and changed the primary category which immediately triggered a suspension. I called GMB support and they killed the suspension within 48 hours. Tech support said that the computer algorithm was triggered by something but he didn't know what. He said that they are not privy to all the things that can trigger an automated suspension.
Even though the GMB listing was flagged as suspended, the listing stayed on during the 48 hours until it was un-suspended.

Well i was thinking of trying some things that the local competition has been doing. Doesn't sound like it's a good ideal at this point. How do you even know if your listing is suspended?

Well i was thinking of trying some things that the local competition has been doing. Doesn't sound like it's a good ideal at this point. How do you even know if your listing is suspended?
If you have claimed your listing in GMB you will get a notification that your listing has been suspended.

My advice would be to shift your mindset. Instead of joining in on the spam that your competitors are doing, aim your time and effort at playing by the rules and reporting competitors who aren't. That strategy will payoff greater in the long game.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom