Dynamic Number Swapping (Call Tracking) Being Crawled By Google On Website

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

I checked my client's cache on Google and Google is crawling the dynamic number swap on there. We have it swap when someone visits from Google. I guess Googlebot is coming from Google because sure enough, the number is switched.

You might want to throw all tracking numbers into GMB, not just your GMB tracking number and main phone number.

Also, if anyone knows how to fix that (we use CallRail) I'd love to know how.

mattheffner

This happened to a client last week. Would love to know what you found out. Not enough spots in GMB for the pool of numbers as I'm using 4-5 so I just deleted them out for now.

Tony Wang

Ugh, sounds like Google has gotten smarter again, and Callrail (and others) have some work to do. And so do I. Thanks for the heads up.

Just curious, do you swap every occurrence of the # on your website? I usually leave the original # in the footer, and schema matches that, not sure if that'll make a difference.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Ugh, sounds like Google has gotten smarter again, and Callrail (and others) have some work to do. And so do I. Thanks for the heads up.

Just curious, do you swap every occurrence of the # on your website? I usually leave the original # in the footer, and schema matches that, not sure if that'll make a difference.
It definitely could. I don't know how to exclude swap targets so that the dynamic number insertion ignores the footer.

Do you use Callrail?

Tony Wang

Yes, I use Callrail. To exclude a swap target, surround part of the number with <span>. For example, instead of (800) 555-1212, type (800) <span>555</span>-1212

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Yes, I use Callrail. To exclude a swap target, surround part of the number with <span>. For example, instead of (800) 555-1212, type (800) <span>555</span>-1212
Excellent! Thanks!

@Tony Wang Are you saying that will keep Google from crawling the number, but that it will still function properly in Callrail?
He's saying it will make sure the number is not swapped by CallRail when Google (or any visitor from Google) crawls. So you'll have at least one number matching what Google expects your phone to be based on NAP on the web and GMB NAP. Does that make sense?

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group