More threads by DarlingSEO

Reaction score
Is it possible to change what Google places in the editorial summaries of your maps listing?

SNP_DAD2C318B1607793D507152AB242B5C02B51_6088071_en_v0.png

In Google support it says: "Editorial summaries are short descriptions compiled by experienced editorial writers designed to give Google users a quick snapshot of popular businesses. These summaries are phrases or sentences (such as the example on the map above: ?Southwestern fare in a modern setting?), which you will often see when you click the business on Maps."

How would we go about making sure some phrases show up as opposed to others?

For those that aren't aware, Chris pulled that from this little known but helpful page in the help docs.

<a href="https://support.google.com/business/answer/6088158?hl=en">Short business descriptions on Google</a>

Chris it's all algo driven, even if someone ends up writing it. The words used I think are pulled from Google reviews as well as 3rd party reviews, so you can't really control what everyone is saying about the business.

They won't correct if just not ideal - but if totally inaccurate you can request an edit with this troubleshooter:

https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_inappropriate_reviews

Thanks Linda. I was thinking that was the issue. Your description of the how editorial summaries appears is clearer than Google's. Now I know what needs to be done.

@DarlingSEO

Linda nailed it. I'd also add that Google seems to have a bias toward restaurants and hotels and the like (basically the sorts of businesses you'd see in the local carousel). I can't remember the last time I saw a contractor (for instance) with an editorial summary.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom