Embedding Google Maps Without the API

FriarTuck00

I apologize in advance if this was posted somewhere else but I didn't see it. Is the Google Maps API required for embedding a Google Map onto a webpage? Or can you still embed using the "old" free method?

travelincat

As of June 11, 2018 all websites need an API key to use Google maps. Without it, you will see this: "This page can't load Google Maps correctly” and the map will display “For development purposes only"

travelincat

This is a new client that just hired us to fix these issues, I do not have access to the site yet.

Bob Kahns

This is what I am seeing on a new client's website:

Looks like this client is using a full screen map embed, which would require the Map API.
Using the "old" method as Joy referenced would change the map size shown on the website, but would not require an API key.
API keys are free and the change made in June was to pricing tiers/structure. Depending on the amount of traffic to the page(s) using the API key will determine monthly payment (with a $200 credit each month given by Google, and any overages charged.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert