More threads by Tim Colling

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone I can talk to about merging Facebook pages. I have a client with six that need to be merged into one. <sigh>

Thanks!

Hey @Tim Colling

I have some experience merging FB pages, though it's been a while. As far as I know, there is no direct support at FB - just the report duplicate as a user from the listing for unofficial pages, and the merge request link if you have Admin privileges for the pages. (https://business.facebook.com/pages/merge/ or https://facebook.com/pages/merge/)

I would advise claiming the unofficial pages so that you can use the page merge link - it's more reliable than the user edit option, and you can update the NAP to make it match the main listing better if need be.

...Unless (I think) your client uses FB advertising... then advertiser support may help you.

Hey @Tim Colling

I have some experience merging FB pages, though it's been a while. As far as I know, there is no direct support at FB - just the report duplicate as a user from the listing for unofficial pages, and the merge request link if you have Admin privileges for the pages. (https://business.facebook.com/pages/merge/ or https://facebook.com/pages/merge/)

I would advise claiming the unofficial pages so that you can use the page merge link - it's more reliable than the user edit option, and you can update the NAP to make it match the main listing better if need be.

...Unless (I think) your client uses FB advertising... then advertiser support may help you.

In my experience the duplicate option doesn't work.

You do want to claim and try to merge, as she mentioned.

Settings > General > Merge Pages I believe is the correct way.

Thank you, everyone. These are all pages that the created in the past, not unclaimed duplicates. They created one for each of the five locations in which they own offices.

I tried changing the address for one of them to be the same as the address of the "main" one and them merging them after the address change was accepted. The merge failed with an error message saying that I have attempted to merge too many pages.

Next step, I guess, will be to contact Facebook support.

I've had a tough time doing this because it seems that to merge a page with another, the name has to be the same... but Facebook won't let you have multiple pages with the same name, so it's a catch-22.

BUT... Facebook does offer support (although, they're not always online) through Facebook Messenger. Make sure you're logged into your business manager account (business.facebook.com) and then go here: Facebook Advertising Help, Tips & Support ... scroll down to the bottom and you'll see this:

1544644485635.png

No it does not, at least not in the sense of ever receiving a timely response. I tried it again two weeks ago. They responded to my initial inquiry message five business days after I sent it.

Pretty useless, I'm afraid. :(

I've been trying very hard for months to get 5 merged. I've had varying degrees of success.
It's very frustrating.

I asked for five to be merged into one other. Facebook merged one of the five and then refused to merge the other four. When I pressed them for an explanation, they simply said that the other four were not eligible, and would not provide any further explanation when I asked them for more information. <sigh>

Hi guys! Let me share my issue:

I created a page for my Business School's Technology Club. When trying to assign the username "iesetech" (which we already use on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn, as well as in our website's domain: iese.tech), it was already in use. I reached out to the former President - since the same thing happened with Twitter - and it seemed there was a previous, unpublished, page so he made me an admin and set me on my way.

After that, I changed the old page's username to "iesetechold" but still couldn't change the new page's username to "iesetech". It seems there's a known issue with this when you own more than 1 page (according to several interet sources) so I rolled back the old page's username to "iesetech" and opted to go on with the merger.

Now, after the merger, the old page doesn't exist anymore but I'm still being unable to assign the "iesetech" username to the new page and if I try to enter facebook.com/iesetech it says the link is broken and that the page doesn't exist.

Given all of our internet identity is built around the "iesetech" brand, it is really important for us to claim the "iesetech" username for our FB page.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

@msialer, to clarify, are you talking about trying to set up a Facebook pager?

@djbaxter, yes, a FB page. I actually had 2 and want to use the username of the 2nd one. The one that then goes in facebook.com/username.

In my specific case "iesetech". The 2nd page had it and after the merger, the 2nd page dissapeared but I'm still not being able to assign "iesetech" to the remaining one...

Seems to you're going to need to get Facebook support to intervene here.

Thanks, @djbaxter!

Anybody got any ideas on the best way to approach FB Support to get a problem solved?

I used the "report something is not working" option yesterday but seemed like a deadend...

Hi @Tim Colling! Quick question, how did you got ahold of them?

I asked for five to be merged into one other. Facebook merged one of the five and then refused to merge the other four. When I pressed them for an explanation, they simply said that the other four were not eligible, and would not provide any further explanation when I asked them for more information. <sigh>

I don't remember anymore, sorry. As you can see, they were pretty much useless anyway.

I've been working on this myself over the last month. One thing I'll tell you, is keep resubmitting. For some reason, we've been able to suddenly get 5 merges approved this month, with one outstanding.

You'll get the 'not eligible' message one day where you can't even submit a request to update business name. Then, the following day, you go in and it will allow you to submit.

Maybe it's the same scenario where you get your request before a different set of eyeballs.

But, my experience, including as recently as this week, is persistence pays off.

Keep submitting.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom