More threads by Laustin1878

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulties breaking through to a client about adding content to their website. They understand the importance of content, mainly in the form of text but don't want to "give the keys to the car." Basically, they dont want add content that will provide a prospective client with the tools to do it themselves.

I understand their concern and explained that not every site visitor will be willing to pay and you won't convert every site visitor, no matter what you do. Yes, we'd all love to see that but realistically... adding certain content can easily provide the ideas for someone to not want to use their service but I think it would be awesome content and very searchable.

I'm curious to know how you overcame a similar situation with a client and what the decision was and how it ultimately worked out? I keep going back to the fact that you are not going to sell everyone that visits the site but the many who visit the site, may either find the information informative or may come back at a later point and choose their service.

Here's one way I'd explain it:

Giving before you expect to get anything is a great way to establish trust, and to show you know what you're talking about. If you don't establish that trust, your competitors will.

Excellent thought, thank you. I fully agree. Once you earn trust, your end goal becomes much easier.

It's not like the information they would be providing is brand new, earth shattering information...lol It's just getting them past that hurdle to understand the benefits of it down the road. They seem to think too much on a short term basis vs seeing the bigger more distant picture.

Trust is definitely a great approach. Thanks again.

Yes, I like Phil's answer too.

Another tactic is to get them to think like a customer. Have them think about a different product or service they are likely to buy. If one site they go to just has sales and product info but another site has good articles and how to info, doesn't it make it appear that site 2 really "gets it" and cares about helping you solve whatever problem it is?

Also the new algo likes to answer questions.
AND guess what, customers have questions too.

They don't have to educate them HOW to do it themselves. Just answer the most basic questions customers might have. I don't know what type of industry we are talking about, but here is an over-simplified example...

"My computer just died - what should I do?"

We help customers with this problem all the time. Sometimes the problem is blah, blah, blah, keyword, keyword, keyword. Sometimes it's: "a list of other problems."

1st thing, be sure it's plugged in. Did the dog bump the plug and it's not totally seated? Check all the other cables. Reboot. Are you getting the blue screen of death? Or is your computer screen totally blank? Next try this... blah, blah, blah.
If none of that helps call us for a free phone evaluation and quote, we'll get you back up and running fast.

Now that was over-simplified and overly short, just an example. But that could be built into a full page article FILLED with many of the problems, computer symptoms, etc. that customers might search for. AND give Google fresh 'themed' content. AND would be helpful to the customer. AND would help build trust that you know what you are talking about. AND help get them to call you.

One other thing to try is to show them someone in their industry, even diff town that ranks high and has great content. Tell them, this company ranks #1. Here is an example of a great basic article they have about how to troubleshoot a dead computer. Couldn't we include some basic helpful info like that on your site?

Thank you Linda. Good stuff and great pointer about the new algo and how complex it has become. This is the gist of what I explained to the client. The problem they have is lack of time. I told them to pick 2, time, money or success. You can't have success without putting time into creating quality content. If you want to be successful and you don't have the time, you need to spend money to have someone else do it for you.

I've also explained the importance of unique, quality content. If it was easy to succeed by just writing any ole article, everyone would be doing it. I've provided some ideas, how-to, top 10 lists (which they actually created 1 list and it ranks very well for a number of terms), etc. It can be done, it's just a matter of facilitating it.

I've been feverishly working on how I can include content creation into a service offering where it's beneficial, not overly time consuming for me and doesn't cost a whole lot. I always recommend the client do it themselves as money is usually a deal breaker for them. They only have so much.

They have a Q & A section on their site but it doesn't really rank. I am going to try to include some questions & answers on the service pages themselves to help boost rank. I appreciate the responses.

Sounds like you are focused on the traffic strategy while the client is more concerned about the conversion strategy.

If you have a conversion problem, adding more content is not the solution.

You cannot deposit visits, likes or shares, only money.

@Laustin1878

Totally agree with what Linda and keenan have said.

As you mentioned, and as engineer's have always said, "Good, cheap, fast - pick any two."

Also, you can pose the question to your client: "Does your site impress you?"

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom