More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
66d6227a911d8caedc11263bc4d34654.png

We get asked here all the time if there are any tools that allow you to see all the main keywords a site ranks for. Most rank trackers we use for clients you need select and enter all the KWs you want to track. A tools like the ones I'm talking about, lets you simply enter a URL to see what KWs the site is already ranking for. Sometimes you'll find it ranking for KWs you never would have thought of.

A tool like this is really important for 3 main tasks Local Search Consultants do all the time. (Or should.)

1) Pre-consult analysis: Get a quick snap shot of what KWs a potential new client ranks for or important KWs they don't rank at all for.

2) Existing clients: Normally you just check rank tracking for the KWs you've thought to track. What if client ranks for other KWs you had not even thought to add to your regular rank tracking software? Or they rank for an important long tail you didn't think of like "Best Dentist in Dallas". It would be cool to know that and report that to the client right?

3) Competitive analysis and KW ideas: Check out top competitors and find out what KWs they rank for.
A) To know what you are up against. B) For ideas of long tails or unique KWs you may not have thought of.

HOT PRO TIP: When doing competitive analysis, the obvious thing most consultants and business owners would do is check the top ranking competing sites in their market.

GO A HUGE STEP UP and target the top ranking sites in a large competitive city, where you know many of the businesses have high end agencies working for them.

For example if I had a Dental client I would research "Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist" because I used to have a client that was one of the highest end Dentists in that market - so I know all those top guys spend a ton on marketing with some huge ad agencies and many are doing some very unique marketing. (So let some of those big smart agencies do some of the KW leg work for you.)

I have a couple tools I've used to find what keywords a site is already ranking for, but I recently discovered a new one at Search Engine Land.

K-Meta is free. Some of the low end freebie tools I've used were not very accurate. But at 1st glance this one seems to be. But any tool like this I'd just use for detective work and discovery. Then when you find a KW you are interested in, I'd always double check in Google.

Below is a K-meta report for a Dentist that always ranks #1 for "Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist."

NOTE:
The screenshot does not show all the additional KW data you can see here.

kmeta.jpg

Here is the Search Engine Land post where I discovered K-Meta.

<a href="http://searchengineland.com/four-tools-break-keyword-research-box-236917">Four Tools To Break You Out Of The Keyword Research Box</a>

There are some tools like SimilarWeb Pro and SEMRush that will attempt to give you the various keywords a domain ranks for on Google.

Using these tools, you can simply input one or several competitors of yours and try to see what keywords they are doing well on, and then add those to your keyword research.

If you aren’t a subscriber of SimilarWeb or SEMrush, K-Meta is a free alternative that is worth checking out. The data may not be as robust, but you can’t beat the cost!

So there is a new little tool to add to your arsenal. Hope it helps!

Above is just a partial snippet, click through to read the rest.

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="http://marketing-blog.catalystemarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/localtools.jpg">

66d6227a911d8caedc11263bc4d34654.png

kmeta.jpg

Thanks Linda.

I wasn't aware of that tool, but I always check to see what website are ranking for using ahrefs and semrush.

I also started using a new tool, seoprofiler, which I really like. I put in the competitors for each of my clients, and then often, I'll do what you did, and I'll put a dentist from a different area (or whatever) that I know historically has always ranked really well and I'll get all sorts of good intel as far as what they are doing (backlinks, on page optimization, etc).

Thanks again Linda.
(Just shot you an email on an unrelated matter)

Thanks Ty.

I knew about SEMrush but thought hrefs only did backlink related research, didn't know they did rank tracking too. And don't think I've looked at SEO Profiler before.

So we just traded tool tips. Love when that happens around here. :)

Thanks, got your email!

I've got to say this tool is really impressive. I'm trying to figure out if the data is proprietary or if they're pulling from an API because it's like getting SEMrush data... but for free. Great find Linda! I've added this to my arsenal, and already found some great terms I wasn't tracking.

Thanks Linda! I have always considered myself decent at spying on the competition but this is gold! I'm surprised that it's free!

I've got to say this tool is really impressive. I'm trying to figure out if the data is proprietary or if they're pulling from an API because it's like getting SEMrush data... but for free. Great find Linda! I've added this to my arsenal, and already found some great terms I wasn't tracking.

Service K-meta has no connection to semrush!

Our database is collected all by our own efforts and is the property of our service. To test you can compare our and their results. Our results are more extensive at the expense of a larger database of keywords.

A word of warning - since I tried running a few keyword checks on this K-Meta tool, Wordfence (a Wordpress security plugin) has notified me of failed login attempts on a daily basis. The IP addresses always trace back to Kiev, Ukraine.

According to K-Meta's Terms and Conditions page https://k-meta.com/terms.html it's located in Kiev, Ukraine.

I don't have any clear evidence to connect the 2 but it's very unusual for these failed login attempts to start popping up.

Hello.
All of passwords of our users are stored in a hashed form, according to the latest cryptographic technologies (encrypted password). We also use tls-protocols for all https-connections with k-meta.com. We can assure you - you have nothing to worry about. Your password can not be found even by our staff.
We value our reputation and our customers trust.

A word of warning - since I tried running a few keyword checks on this K-Meta tool, Wordfence (a Wordpress security plugin) has notified me of failed login attempts on a daily basis. The IP addresses always trace back to Kiev, Ukraine.
According to K-Meta's Terms and Conditions page https://k-meta.com/terms.html it's located in Kiev, Ukraine.
I don't have any clear evidence to connect the 2 but it's very unusual for these failed login attempts to start popping up.

Hi Kallin,

Thank you for addressing my concerns. It might be a very unfortunate co-incident. I hope no one else has the issue I had.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom