More threads by Former Member

Reaction score
Get yelp off** the first page

Ok guys, I'm sure there are a lot of mixed views on yelp but that's not the point of this thread.

I'm interested in pushing Yelp off the first page. My strategy I've got so far involves barnacle SEO and building up a few news articles and blog posts.

Any advice? Maybe some articles on this subject?

For Barnacle SEO, what are some of the easiest high trust links to push up onto page one and hopefully muscle out the "beast" yelp is?

Thanks in advance!

Get yelp off** the first page

Ok guys, I'm sure there are a lot of mixed views on yelp but that's not the point of this thread.

I'm interested in pushing Yelp off the first page.

Hey Ross,

Do you mean "get Yelp on the first page"

Nope! Get yelp off the first page of Google. Yelps practices and reviewers don't tend to align with our company. I'm looking to push them off the first page and discourage yelp reviews :)

Thanks, Colan!

@Ross
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You'll really have to pick your "barnacle battles" with Yelp; figure out some very specific, almost niche terms where you'd like to pump up those organic rankings. Chances are slim you'll outrank them for broader searches.

Even to the extent you want to outrank Yelp in the localized-organic rankings, I'd still suggest trying to get as visible within Yelp as possible. Even if you do edge them out, many people still will click on the Yelp result. You want to have another crack at those people.

Thanks Phil.

I think you may be right. It can be frustrating getting most of our positive reviews filtered, etc. Also we tend to receive better reviews on Angie's list and google. Yelp tends to be a "price shopper" customer that really isn't our clientele and can tend to lead to confused and negative reviews on yelp. Our focus on high end service and work comes with a price. A price that yelpers often "yelp" about.

But I think you're right and well just have to continue a push for positive yelp reviews from our clients and hope something doesn't get filtered once in awhile :)

I'm interested in hearing if that's really worked for anyone. If so, what would the complaint be filed under?

Are you trying to get it pushed off the 1st page for broad searches or just for a search of your business name?

Are you trying to get it pushed off the 1st page for broad searches or just for a search of your business name?

Ideally for a broad search. I'm just playing around with the possibilities. I want to have a plan of action in case Yelp becomes a problem for us. It is the number one ranking for "city name service" in multiple towns.

It'll probably only work if it's a duplicate. Even then, it's been my experience that your edits won't go through unless you're a "trusted" Yelper. (When I report an issue when logged into my account, my edits usually go through. Not so if I just report them anonymously.)

I don't think reporting to Google does much good. Tried that before and it hasn't worked very well.

A better idea would be to just promote a category page within Yellowpages or any other directory site with juice. I'm happy to dive in further if you can PM me the keyword you're trying to knock Yelp off for.

Sorry to thread hijack but how does one, "promote a category page within Yellowpages".

I haven't heard of that before.

Sorry to thread hijack but how does one, "promote a category page within Yellowpages".

I haven't heard of that before.

If you're trying to remove Yelp for "plumber san francisco" it's a good idea to pick up the plumber category page for San Francisco within Yellowpages or Yahoo Local and build links to that page so that it'll outrank Yelp.

YP and Yahoo Local have the kind of juice to outrank Yelp with some push.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom