More threads by Ben Bowen

Reaction score
I am wondering what sort of information goes in the "Labels" field. Is that for agency use, when you manage multiple locations/listings?

Google My Business.jpg

Google My Business.jpg

Hi Ben,

Labels are just for organizational purposes. You can search for locations in your GMB based on the labels. For example, let's say you had a bunch of locations that were on the east coast. You could label them all with "east coast" and then you could search/filter by "east coast" in your dashboard if you just wanted to view those locations.

FYI, I was talking to GMB support the other day and the technician seemed very clear that labelling according to the business key terms would provide ranking benefit. I said to him that I just couldn't see that being the case, but he insisted.

I think it's a case of him not having a clue, but decided to share here in case anybody had any extra input?

FYI, I was talking to GMB support the other day and the technician seemed very clear that labelling according to the business key terms would provide ranking benefit. I said to him that I just couldn't see that being the case, but he insisted.

I think it's a case of him not having a clue, but decided to share here in case anybody had any extra input?

Believe it or not, these guys get incorrect information all the time and hand it out like cupcakes seemingly.

With that being said, you never know what works and doesn't work with Google. I'm tempted to say no but unless there is a case study, that wouldn't be my definitive answer.

The guys in India support have no clue when it comes to ranking signals.

Thanks for giving me another example of why it's never a good idea to take ranking advice from someone that works at Google.

The other use of the labels field is to label listings to pull into Google Ads instead of syncing all locations.

I was also talking to a GMB support person today, in India, and they told me to add my keywords into the labels area and it would help to get indexed in maps for my keywords and would show up within 2 weeks. It doesn't make a lot of sense, bc anyone could try to game the system. They then told me to do a Google search with my client's brand name + the keywords and Google's algorithm would pick it up and help us rank high. This seems somewhat real but the fact they are telling me that is against how Google has always been. In any case I did add keywords to labels in several accounts and will monitor and report back here.

I realize this thread is old but I thought I'd ask about this. Today, a GMB support person in India told me the same thing about adding keywords to the Labels section. She also made other recommendations (duh) to "optimize" the listing: add more photos, use multiple categories, get more reviews, respond to reviews - duh. She said I should be "constantly" be updating the listing. In any case, I'd never had a support rep trying to tell me how to optimize GMB listings; also, I had never had anyone tell me to upload "keywords" to the labels (she even gave a few examples). Any updates @Colan Nielsen @BenFisher @JoyHawkins ???

I had never had anyone tell me to upload "keywords" to the labels (she even gave a few examples).

lol it doesn't help at all. I can't believe people are still saying this.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom