More threads by Growthy

Growthy

Reaction score
My Google My Business (GMB) listing has an issue where the business name we registered, for example, 'Companyname - Roofer New York', is being displayed with the owner's name appended, resulting in something like 'Companyname - Roofer New York (John Doe)'.

I've noticed inconsistencies when viewing the listing on different internet browsers. In some cases, I only see 'John Doe', in others just 'Companyname - Roofer New York', or at times, the entire string with both the business and owner's names: Like this ->

Companyname - Roofer New York (John Doe)

I'm puzzled as to why this is happening and would like to know how I can correct it. Additionally, I'm concerned about whether this will affect being found under the search term 'Roofer New York' and if it could negatively impact my GMB ranking. For Citations (NAP) I use always Companyname - Roofer New York. Is that okay like that?

I appreciate any information, explanations, or tips regarding this matter. Thank you.

Growthy

Solution
Hey :) I wanted to enter this English name (which is wrong) now exactly the same name (businessname). But where can I find the option? Where can I change it? I have not found it... Thank you. I can only find this option to change when Im not logged in as owner.

You need to set your google map/search to English and make a manual suggestion... and then pray for it to be accepted. Google will NOT show this difference in the GBP dashboard ever, regardless of the language you're using. If the suggestion doesn't work, go to Google Support.
This happens when you're logged in and you've saved that location on Google Maps. You'll see the name you saved it with in parentheses. No one else will see this.

This happens when you're logged in and you've saved that location on Google Maps. You'll see the name you saved it with in parentheses. No one else will see this.

Hey and thanks for ur input!

Unfort. no, I just checked with different browser (Edge) in privatemode. And I see there only the owners name without parantheses, like "John Doe" only. :/

If I search for "Roofer New York" with Chrome in Google (it's correct): Companyname - Roofer New York
If I search for "Roofer New York" with FF in Google (it's correct): Companyname - Roofer New York

But I have to search/dig through all GMBs to find my Business in the 2nd or 3rd page.

When I search for "Companyname New York" in Google with Chrome, I see this: Companyname - Roofer Newyork (John Doe)
When I search for "Companyname New York" in Google with FF, I see this: Companyname - Roofer Newyork (John Doe)
When I search for "Companyname New York" in Google with Edge, I see this: John Doe

But here I will find my GBP immedietaly on the first page of SERP.

And by the way; in all this research/searching I was not logged in as Administrator Gmail of this GBP.

Its weird, or? Thanks for help!

I would look to see if you are logged into Google on the browsers you are seeing it on. It will show up on any device for you if you are logged in.

I would look to see if you are logged into Google on the browsers you are seeing it on. It will show up on any device for you if you are logged in.

Hey and thanks for ur feedback.

Nope, like I said, unfort. the "problem" exists also, if I am NOT logged in.

Ah, okay. It's because there is a German name added to the listing that looks like it's just his name. To remove it, pull up the listing on Google Maps and get rid of what's listed in the German Name field.

1704975118287.jpg

Ah, okay. It's because there is a German name added to the listing that looks like it's just his name. To remove it, pull up the listing on Google Maps and get rid of what's listed in the German Name field.

1704975118287.jpg

So u saw also only the (John Doe) Name, or?

I'm afraid that if I do that, the listing will be suspended. What do you think?

Will Google prioritize the John Doe name over the actual business name? Will I still be able to rank with the keywords in the business name?

Thanks!

That field should not be there. It's supposed to literally be their name, but translated into German. It makes no sense to have the owners name in that field.

I'm not suggesting you alter the business name, I'm suggesting you remove the owners name as the place name in German because it's incorrect.

Companyname - Roofer New York
I was doing bunch of Semrush training this week, they said leave the company name out here — and that, if you really need to include it, put it at the end. I am not advising, just repeating what I saw in a Wes McDowell video. Basically he said your brand is already going to be there so focus on primary keyword first then location. YMMV. Cheers.

I was doing bunch of Semrush training this week, they said leave the company name out here — and that, if you really need to include it, put it at the end. I am not advising, just repeating what I saw in a Wes McDowell video. Basically he said your brand is already going to be there so focus on primary keyword first then location. YMMV. Cheers.

Are you sure they weren't talking about title tags? I cannot imagine why anyone would advise not listing your company name first in the business name field of a Google Business profile. That makes no sense to me.

1704975118287.jpg

Hey :) I wanted to enter this English name (which is wrong) now exactly the same name (businessname). But where can I find the option? Where can I change it? I have not found it... Thank you. I can only find this option to change when Im not logged in as owner.

You need to set your google map/search to English and make a manual suggestion... and then pray for it to be accepted. Google will NOT show this difference in the GBP dashboard ever, regardless of the language you're using. If the suggestion doesn't work, go to Google Support.

Solution

But I can add only a suggestion if Im NOT logged in as Owner, or? Only as "guest" or normal viewer as "not logged in". So like everyone can do a suggestion, or?

Thanks!

But I can add only a suggestion if Im NOT logged in as Owner, or? Only as "guest" or normal viewer as "not logged in". So like everyone can do a suggestion, or?

Thanks!

• You need to be logged in.
  • You cannot do it from the GBP dashboard, that's probably why it's not working.
  • Yes anyone can make a suggestion (that's how it's always worked)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom