More threads by georgebizpro

Reaction score
I have a client who changed their website URL a couple years ago. I've updated their GMB website URL at least 3 times and GMB keeps going in and changing it back to the old URL, which redirects to the new one. I've run an inbound link report on old website URL and am working with client on changing it on major citation sites, any other suggestions? Where is Google likely pulling this info from? Thanks!

Morning George,
I've experienced similar issues myself such as an address that continues to revert. This can frequently arise when you're trying to go against the weight of numerous important local SEO platforms and it's, of course, good practice to replace the new website across these listings like you're doing already.
However, another issue, and it's happened to me on at least one occasion, are other users. I'd contacted Google directly on the issue. They were adamant that a different user with admin rights was either changing or simply not sanctioning the changes trying to be made. So it might be worth checking what other users are on that GMB profile and possibly have a purge!
I hope that helps. Let me know how you get on.

I have a client who changed their website URL a couple years ago. I've updated their GMB website URL at least 3 times and GMB keeps going in and changing it back to the old URL, which redirects to the new one. I've run an inbound link report on old website URL and am working with client on changing it on major citation sites, any other suggestions? Where is Google likely pulling this info from? Thanks!
We had a phone number recently that this continued to be changed. We never quite figured it out, but assumed it was being cross-checked with another source. Google support never gave an explanation, but it eventually stopped. Since it was being corrected to a personal cell phone, it was very frustrating! I would be persistent and hope it balances out.

It happens frequently with phone numbers. What works for me is to perform a search for the 'business name + wrong number' to see what turns up.

In the case of a website link, it would be more difficult since to find since you can't search for that (unless it was a naked url). A backlink report would be one way find a possible culprit. But there may be tons of old links though. I would at that point try to narrow down the list by doing a branded search, maybe with the address, and look at the top third party pages that comes up. These would be the pages that Google is placing more importance on, and has a higher chance of being the source of the issue.

I have that same issue right now with one of our clients and their phone number. Google keeps swapping out the real number for one that is on an old, incorrect listing on WhitePages and a couple of other low level directories. This is a new issue as this didn't start up until the last month or so.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom