More threads by Hammer

Hammer

LocalU Member
Reaction score
We have over 200 listings, and recently (since the COVID stuff) we are seeing really strange/problematic behavior from Google. IN this short video, I show how we update a listing, and then it suddenly reverts back with the dreaded Google orange. We are seeing this on multiple locations.

I am going to reach out for support, but ever since they took out the phone number it's really tough to get anything resolved...it gets escalated but never gets fixed.

Anyone have any advice or insight?

Here's the video, it's short and shows exactly what I mean. Screen Recording 2020-05-14 at 04.47 PM.mp4

- Hammer

Hey Hammer,

One thing to check is if you have any 3rd party tools pushing updates on your listings. I've seen this many times where a system like Yext has the wrong data, and they keep reverting your change every time you make it. Go here to see which apps have access to your listing: Sign in - Google Accounts

That only shows you the apps YOU have authorized, though. You can't see any that other managers of the GMB listing might have added. You should also look to see if there are other old users with access to the listing that shouldn't have access. Remove them, and you'll also remove any apps they may have authorized. Checking the users will also give you a list of people to ask "Did you sign up for some tool that syncs to our GMB listing?"

Hope this helps.

Thanks Darren, I appreciate the reply. I keep a close eye on what we give access too (since we are responsible for so many accounts), and I know for sure it's not that (I don't use Yext or similar app for sure). I will remove the other users to see if maybe it's something on their end, for the one. For the second one though, it's definitely a Google bug issue, because everything just sits "under review" and never updates. We have a handful doing this, it's very frustrating.

Great insight though and thank you again for sharing your expertise.

- Hammer

The pending bug could just be covid. I know a lot of edits have been sitting in pending for weeks.

This is because Google is rejecting the update, it sucks. It is mainly because of Covid response times. I had a client get a suggested edit to a name, tried to change it, it got rejected (orange strike) the only way to get the change to stick was via an API patch.

We have over 200 listings, and recently (since the COVID stuff) we are seeing really strange/problematic behavior from Google. IN this short video, I show how we update a listing, and then it suddenly reverts back with the dreaded Google orange. We are seeing this on multiple locations.

I am going to reach out for support, but ever since they took out the phone number it's really tough to get anything resolved...it gets escalated but never gets fixed.

Anyone have any advice or insight?

Here's the video, it's short and shows exactly what I mean. Screen Recording 2020-05-14 at 04.47 PM.mp4

- Hammer

We are seeing exactly the same problem. Weirdly, it looks like our short names were accepted, then removed by Google. But, if I go to 'share' the profile, the short name is still included in the URL. Brilliantly, the short URL doesn't then actually work when you use it.

On two of the listings, I am currently the only user/tool with access, so that can't be to blame. When combined with the share URL, it smells like a bug to me o_O

We are seeing exactly the same problem. Weirdly, it looks like our short names were accepted, then removed by Google. But, if I go to 'share' the profile, the short name is still included in the URL. Brilliantly, the short URL doesn't then actually work when you use it.

On two of the listings, I am currently the only user/tool with access, so that can't be to blame. When combined with the share URL, it smells like a bug to me o_O
We have this happening to over 15 listings now, that won’t update, or update and revert... its maddening. I’ve sent in 6 emails and don’t even get a reply....

Short names are not working at the moment. This is part of the limited functionality by Google. Typically when the name is reverted, it’s because Google doesn’t like the name supplied. I am not sure the new name your are trying to use is acceptable to use per Google’s TOS. I haven’t seen that type of making used before. I have always seen realtors use their name and the business that they work at.

This is because Google is rejecting the update, it sucks. It is mainly because of Covid response times. I had a client get a suggested edit to a name, tried to change it, it got rejected (orange strike) the only way to get the change to stick was via an API patch.
Yeah it does suck. I’ll have to check the api thing, because I can’t even get a reply back from multiple emails. We have multiple listings with this issue right now, new clients who set their stuff up all wrong and we are cleaning it up.

thanks for the reply Ben.

I too have several clients who is having issues but
What would be a good company to use or your recommend to correct these that has a good API Patch, I too am having issues on some client listings. Mainly new listings after verifying phone number is stuck in pending and is not going live on listing.

I might have missed a more recent thread, apologies if so.

But, good news - I've tried making the edits to short name today, and they have all stuck! Rejoice!

Wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has had any luck with support on this? I've been battling these changes just like Hammer showed in the video for months. Names / addresses / phone numbers / descriptions and even UTM parameters being removed and changed.

Wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has had any luck with support on this? I've been battling these changes just like Hammer showed in the video for months. Names / addresses / phone numbers / descriptions and even UTM parameters being removed and changed.

Also dealing with this on a few listings where we try to correct categories and some attributes and they instantly revert the second we try to change them. It almost makes me feel like it could be an AI/machine learning issue with Google.

On a related note, does anyone know how to check which apps/services have API access to your listing? I haven't been able to find an answer to this...

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom